Apr 15, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Kevin Millwood was signed by the Yankees to provide a fallback option for the rotation and now Phil Hughes is struggling enough to make removing him from the rotation a possibility, but it doesn’t sound like Millwood will be back in the majors any time soon.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com spoke to a scout who saw Millwood pitch in extended spring training and said he was “terrible.”
Of course, the same scout also said of Millwood: “Here’s a guy who used to throw 94-95. Now he’s throwing 86.”
There may have been a point when Millwood threw 94-95 miles per hour, but it hasn’t been for a very, very long time. At least a decade, in fact. During the nine seasons in which Fan Graphs has velocity data Millwood’s fastball has averaged 90.8 miles per hour and going back to 2002, when he was with the Braves, his fastball averaged 91.4 mph.
None of which makes the fact that “now he’s throwing 86″ any less of an indictment of Millwood’s current abilities, but it does say something about always taking the word of scouts as gospel. Sometimes the numbers tell plenty.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 38
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 23
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)