Apr 15, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Kevin Millwood was signed by the Yankees to provide a fallback option for the rotation and now Phil Hughes is struggling enough to make removing him from the rotation a possibility, but it doesn’t sound like Millwood will be back in the majors any time soon.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com spoke to a scout who saw Millwood pitch in extended spring training and said he was “terrible.”
Of course, the same scout also said of Millwood: “Here’s a guy who used to throw 94-95. Now he’s throwing 86.”
There may have been a point when Millwood threw 94-95 miles per hour, but it hasn’t been for a very, very long time. At least a decade, in fact. During the nine seasons in which Fan Graphs has velocity data Millwood’s fastball has averaged 90.8 miles per hour and going back to 2002, when he was with the Braves, his fastball averaged 91.4 mph.
None of which makes the fact that “now he’s throwing 86″ any less of an indictment of Millwood’s current abilities, but it does say something about always taking the word of scouts as gospel. Sometimes the numbers tell plenty.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)