Apr 15, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Jim Leyland will be going for the 1,500th win of his managerial career tonight when his Tigers take on the A’s in Oakland.
He’ll be the 19th manager in MLB history to reach 1,500 victories, joining Tony La Russa of the Cardinals as the only active managers in the club.
Leyland has 851 wins with the Pirates, 430 with the Tigers, 146 with the Marlins, and 72 with the Rockies.
His overall record is 1,499-1525, which works out to a .496 winning percentage that would make him just the fourth manager with 1,500 wins and a losing record alongside Connie Mack, Bucky Harris, and Gene Mauch.
Of course, the Tigers are good enough to bring his career mark above .500 by the end of the season. And if they do get a victory in Oakland tonight I hope someone buys him a whole carton of smokes to celebrate.
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball