Apr 16, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants placed Andres Torres on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left Achilles tendon.
Torres hasn’t played since suffering the injury last Saturday, so he’s eligible to return as soon as April 26.
“He was pretty discouraged,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “There wasn’t much improvement. He wasn’t running as well as we were hoping. We gave this time, but now we’re at the point he can use the whole 15 days. We’ll make sure he rests it, and it doesn’t flare back up.”
Torres was batting .286/.375/.393 with three doubles and a stolen base over his first 32 plate appearance prior to the injury.
Darren Ford was recalled to take his place on the active roster while Aaron Rowand has started the last five games in center field. Rowand has also batted leadoff in each of the last three games.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)