Apr 16, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants placed Andres Torres on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left Achilles tendon.
Torres hasn’t played since suffering the injury last Saturday, so he’s eligible to return as soon as April 26.
“He was pretty discouraged,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “There wasn’t much improvement. He wasn’t running as well as we were hoping. We gave this time, but now we’re at the point he can use the whole 15 days. We’ll make sure he rests it, and it doesn’t flare back up.”
Torres was batting .286/.375/.393 with three doubles and a stolen base over his first 32 plate appearance prior to the injury.
Darren Ford was recalled to take his place on the active roster while Aaron Rowand has started the last five games in center field. Rowand has also batted leadoff in each of the last three games.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 31
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 18
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)