Apr 16, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants placed Andres Torres on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left Achilles tendon.
Torres hasn’t played since suffering the injury last Saturday, so he’s eligible to return as soon as April 26.
“He was pretty discouraged,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “There wasn’t much improvement. He wasn’t running as well as we were hoping. We gave this time, but now we’re at the point he can use the whole 15 days. We’ll make sure he rests it, and it doesn’t flare back up.”
Torres was batting .286/.375/.393 with three doubles and a stolen base over his first 32 plate appearance prior to the injury.
Darren Ford was recalled to take his place on the active roster while Aaron Rowand has started the last five games in center field. Rowand has also batted leadoff in each of the last three games.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)