Apr 16, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants placed Andres Torres on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left Achilles tendon.
Torres hasn’t played since suffering the injury last Saturday, so he’s eligible to return as soon as April 26.
“He was pretty discouraged,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. “There wasn’t much improvement. He wasn’t running as well as we were hoping. We gave this time, but now we’re at the point he can use the whole 15 days. We’ll make sure he rests it, and it doesn’t flare back up.”
Torres was batting .286/.375/.393 with three doubles and a stolen base over his first 32 plate appearance prior to the injury.
Darren Ford was recalled to take his place on the active roster while Aaron Rowand has started the last five games in center field. Rowand has also batted leadoff in each of the last three games.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11