Apr 16, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
Here’s the latest development in the sad saga of former Cy Young Award winner Dwight Gooden.
According to the Associated Press via NBCSports.com, Gooden was sentenced to five years’ probation yesterday after pleading guilty in New Jersey to child endangerment. He was also ordered to undergo outpatient drug treatment.
The charges date back to a March 2010 traffic accident where Gooden was under the influence of cocaine with his then 5-year-old son riding in the back seat without a seat belt. Fortunately nobody was hurt in the accident.
Gooden, now 46 years old, could have faced up to three years in state prison. He has routinely wasted second chance after second chance during his life, so I’m not expecting things to suddenly change now, though I’d be thrilled if he finally turned his life around.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)