Apr 16, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
Here’s the latest development in the sad saga of former Cy Young Award winner Dwight Gooden.
According to the Associated Press via NBCSports.com, Gooden was sentenced to five years’ probation yesterday after pleading guilty in New Jersey to child endangerment. He was also ordered to undergo outpatient drug treatment.
The charges date back to a March 2010 traffic accident where Gooden was under the influence of cocaine with his then 5-year-old son riding in the back seat without a seat belt. Fortunately nobody was hurt in the accident.
Gooden, now 46 years old, could have faced up to three years in state prison. He has routinely wasted second chance after second chance during his life, so I’m not expecting things to suddenly change now, though I’d be thrilled if he finally turned his life around.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24