Apr 16, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Shannon Drayer of ESPN 710 in Seattle reports that Gutierrez will be sent out for further evaluation, possibly to the Mayo Clinic.
11:15 AM: Things were looking up earlier this week when we heard Franklin Gutierrez was scheduled to work out with the Mariners and possibly head out on a minor league rehab assignment. However, it’s obvious he’s not back to 100 percent quite yet.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge told Robert Falkoff of MLB.com that Gutierrez was scratched from a rehab appearance with Single-A High Desert last night with more stomach problems.
“We had hopes of him going out and playing, but he just was not feeling well at all today,” Wedge said.
Gutierrez is scheduled to be reevaluated at some point today. The Gold Glove center fielder has dealt with stomach problems dating back to last season, but told reporters earlier this week that he was feeling better and had begun to put back on some of the 15 pounds he had lost.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)