Apr 16, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Shannon Drayer of ESPN 710 in Seattle reports that Gutierrez will be sent out for further evaluation, possibly to the Mayo Clinic.
11:15 AM: Things were looking up earlier this week when we heard Franklin Gutierrez was scheduled to work out with the Mariners and possibly head out on a minor league rehab assignment. However, it’s obvious he’s not back to 100 percent quite yet.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge told Robert Falkoff of MLB.com that Gutierrez was scratched from a rehab appearance with Single-A High Desert last night with more stomach problems.
“We had hopes of him going out and playing, but he just was not feeling well at all today,” Wedge said.
Gutierrez is scheduled to be reevaluated at some point today. The Gold Glove center fielder has dealt with stomach problems dating back to last season, but told reporters earlier this week that he was feeling better and had begun to put back on some of the 15 pounds he had lost.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)