Apr 16, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Shannon Drayer of ESPN 710 in Seattle reports that Gutierrez will be sent out for further evaluation, possibly to the Mayo Clinic.
11:15 AM: Things were looking up earlier this week when we heard Franklin Gutierrez was scheduled to work out with the Mariners and possibly head out on a minor league rehab assignment. However, it’s obvious he’s not back to 100 percent quite yet.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge told Robert Falkoff of MLB.com that Gutierrez was scratched from a rehab appearance with Single-A High Desert last night with more stomach problems.
“We had hopes of him going out and playing, but he just was not feeling well at all today,” Wedge said.
Gutierrez is scheduled to be reevaluated at some point today. The Gold Glove center fielder has dealt with stomach problems dating back to last season, but told reporters earlier this week that he was feeling better and had begun to put back on some of the 15 pounds he had lost.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 24
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 45
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)