Apr 16, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
What a difference a week makes.
Pujols and Lance Berkman both homered twice in last night’s 11-2 drubbing of the Dodgers. Pujols has three home runs in the past two games and three multi-hit games in his past four. Can’t keep that guy down for long. Meanwhile, the suddenly resurgent Berkman has six home runs in last 19 at-bats. Only Troy Tulowitzki has hit more home runs so far this season.
And then we get to the Cardinals’ offense as a whole, which is currently producing at a historic level. Including their 19-hit performance against the Dodgers last night, they’ve collected at least 14 hits in each of their last five games. According to the Associated Press via NBCSports.com, the Cardinals haven’t done that since Aug. 31-Sept. 7, 1930, when they had 14 hits or more in six straight.
The Cardinals have won three in a row and five out of six, reaching the .500 mark (7-7) for the first time this season. They’ll try to stay hot tonight against left-hander Clayton Kershaw, who has a 1.37 ERA and 24/4 K/BB ratio over his first three starts this season. And that’s no easy task.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)