Apr 16, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
Sad news out of the Dominican Republic.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Nationals prospect shortstop Yewri Guillen, who played and lived at the team’s baseball academy in the Dominican Republic, died yesterday morning of bacterial meningitis. He was just 18 years old.
According to Nationals’ academy administrator Fausto Severino, Guillen started feeling ill at the complex last week and was sent home at his request to see a doctor of his choice. He was hospitalized over the weekend and died in the hospital Friday.
“He was a young kid with a lot of future and had a lot of talent,” Severino said. “It’s a young life other than being a baseball player. He was a happy kid all the time. He was a great kid. He was upbeat. He was a kid from a humble family but with great spirits. He was a kid everybody liked.”
The Nationals signed Guillen in February and had plans for him to play for one of their minor league affiliates in the United States this season.
It’s not yet known how Guillen contracted the illness. The Nationals have been in touch with other players who live and play at their complex and fortunately none have reported any health concerns.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)