Apr 16, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
Crawford heard plenty of boos from the Fenway Park crowd after striking out on three pitches against Jon Rauch in the ninth inning last night, but tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com that he understands their frustration.
“They have to boo. I’m playing real bad — and we’re playing real bad as a team,” said Crawford. “You definitely understand. You can’t be upset about that. You feel their frustration a little bit. We’re frustrated, too.”
As Speier notes, among the 207 hitters who currently qualify for the batting title, Crawford ranks 202nd in batting average, 205th in OBP (.185) and 206th in OPS. Granted, we’re talking about a really small sample size here, but yikes. The Red Sox are batting just .224 as a team and have scored only 46 runs, so it’s pretty easy to see why they’re 2-10 right now.
Crawford is obviously better than what he’s shown until now, but it’s not uncommon for a player to struggle after signing a big money contract. To name two recent notable examples, Mark Teixeira batted .200 in April after signing with the Yankees while Carlos Beltran‘s offensive numbers were merely pedestrian in his first season with the Mets in 2005. Of course, they both eventually turned things around in their new digs, so there’s plenty of reason to believe this is just an ill-timed speed bump for Crawford.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 32
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 40
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)