Apr 17, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT
It has been over a week since Giants outfielder Andres Torres suffered a strained left Achilles tendon while trying to make a play on a fly ball and landed on the 15-day disabled list.
He’s not feeling any better.
According to MLB.com columnist Barry M. Bloom, Torres has “backed off running or exercises” for the time being and was spotted Saturday wearing an anti-inflammatory patch on the back of his foot.
Torres spoke with reporters about the ongoing discomfort and frustrating healing process:
“It bothers me a little bit,” said Torres. “We want to make sure now that it’s 100 percent. I tried to run a few times, but I’m not able to run like I want to. It’s better to wait and see how it feels for a couple of days. The main thing is I want to go out there at 100 percent. I don’t want to go out there if I’m hurt because that’s not going to help anybody, I don’t think.”
Torres was 8-for-28 with three doubles and three runs scored before he suffered the injury. Aaron Rowand has been filling in out in center field and will continue to draw regular looks for a couple more weeks.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 16
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)