Barry Zito lands on disabled list with right foot sprain

Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 PM EST

zito scoul AP

The Giants may finally have an excuse to try a new face in Barry Zito‘s rotation spot.

According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the left-hander suffered an injury Saturday while making a play on a Joe Saunders bunt and had to be pulled before the end of the second inning. It looked like a groin tweaking or maybe an ankle sprain, but the Giants haven’t commented yet and there’s no point in making assumptions. An update should be coming shortly.

Zito allowed three hits, a walk and two earned runs before he was pulled. He has now surrendered nine earned runs in 13 innings this season and should probably be skipped on his next turn no matter his health situation.

Ryan Vogelsong, 33, has posted a 1.59 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 11.1 innings this year at Triple-A Fresno. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since the 2006 season when he was a member of the Pirates, but it might be time for him to get another look.

UPDATE: According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, X-rays were negative but Zito has been diagnosed with a right mid-foot sprain. It’s not yet known how much time he could miss.

UPDATE II: Zito has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Vogelsong has been recalled. This according to the Giants’ official Twitter feed.

1. phukyouk - Apr 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM

good news is if he keeps that Stache he can go door to door delivering Pizza.

2. mgflolox - Apr 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Man, I might get totally beat up over this,but I’m rooting like hell for Zito. i think he’s a really good dude, he’s been working hard, and has been a good teammate. I think he needs to change his approach to pitching. At this point he’s basically got the same stuff that Jamie Moyer had, but with a better curveball. Zito’s a pretty intelligent guy, maybe he’ll figure out how to pitch now that he doesn’t have a fastball anymore. I really hope so.

3. tomemos - Apr 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

As a Giants fan, I don’t think this “excuse” is very welcome. It’s not like we’ve got some fabulous young prospect waiting in the wings–I mean, Vogelsong?

4. enriquesut - Apr 18, 2011 at 5:37 AM

I boarded a flight with a slight sprain on my right big toe,in mid flight,my right foot starts to swell.
    Wall Street Journal Subscription Discount

5. banksatdixie - Apr 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Nice dick broom, Zito. Whats the deal with horrible facial hair in San Francisco?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5678)