Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
The Giants may finally have an excuse to try a new face in Barry Zito‘s rotation spot.
According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the left-hander suffered an injury Saturday while making a play on a Joe Saunders bunt and had to be pulled before the end of the second inning. It looked like a groin tweaking or maybe an ankle sprain, but the Giants haven’t commented yet and there’s no point in making assumptions. An update should be coming shortly.
Zito allowed three hits, a walk and two earned runs before he was pulled. He has now surrendered nine earned runs in 13 innings this season and should probably be skipped on his next turn no matter his health situation.
Ryan Vogelsong, 33, has posted a 1.59 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 11.1 innings this year at Triple-A Fresno. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since the 2006 season when he was a member of the Pirates, but it might be time for him to get another look.
UPDATE: According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, X-rays were negative but Zito has been diagnosed with a right mid-foot sprain. It’s not yet known how much time he could miss.
UPDATE II: Zito has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Vogelsong has been recalled. This according to the Giants’ official Twitter feed.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy