Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 PM EST
The Giants may finally have an excuse to try a new face in Barry Zito‘s rotation spot.
According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the left-hander suffered an injury Saturday while making a play on a Joe Saunders bunt and had to be pulled before the end of the second inning. It looked like a groin tweaking or maybe an ankle sprain, but the Giants haven’t commented yet and there’s no point in making assumptions. An update should be coming shortly.
Zito allowed three hits, a walk and two earned runs before he was pulled. He has now surrendered nine earned runs in 13 innings this season and should probably be skipped on his next turn no matter his health situation.
Ryan Vogelsong, 33, has posted a 1.59 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 11.1 innings this year at Triple-A Fresno. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since the 2006 season when he was a member of the Pirates, but it might be time for him to get another look.
UPDATE: According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, X-rays were negative but Zito has been diagnosed with a right mid-foot sprain. It’s not yet known how much time he could miss.
UPDATE II: Zito has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Vogelsong has been recalled. This according to the Giants’ official Twitter feed.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)