Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
The Giants may finally have an excuse to try a new face in Barry Zito‘s rotation spot.
According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the left-hander suffered an injury Saturday while making a play on a Joe Saunders bunt and had to be pulled before the end of the second inning. It looked like a groin tweaking or maybe an ankle sprain, but the Giants haven’t commented yet and there’s no point in making assumptions. An update should be coming shortly.
Zito allowed three hits, a walk and two earned runs before he was pulled. He has now surrendered nine earned runs in 13 innings this season and should probably be skipped on his next turn no matter his health situation.
Ryan Vogelsong, 33, has posted a 1.59 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 11.1 innings this year at Triple-A Fresno. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since the 2006 season when he was a member of the Pirates, but it might be time for him to get another look.
UPDATE: According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, X-rays were negative but Zito has been diagnosed with a right mid-foot sprain. It’s not yet known how much time he could miss.
UPDATE II: Zito has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Vogelsong has been recalled. This according to the Giants’ official Twitter feed.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)