Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
The Giants may finally have an excuse to try a new face in Barry Zito‘s rotation spot.
According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the left-hander suffered an injury Saturday while making a play on a Joe Saunders bunt and had to be pulled before the end of the second inning. It looked like a groin tweaking or maybe an ankle sprain, but the Giants haven’t commented yet and there’s no point in making assumptions. An update should be coming shortly.
Zito allowed three hits, a walk and two earned runs before he was pulled. He has now surrendered nine earned runs in 13 innings this season and should probably be skipped on his next turn no matter his health situation.
Ryan Vogelsong, 33, has posted a 1.59 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio over 11.1 innings this year at Triple-A Fresno. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since the 2006 season when he was a member of the Pirates, but it might be time for him to get another look.
UPDATE: According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, X-rays were negative but Zito has been diagnosed with a right mid-foot sprain. It’s not yet known how much time he could miss.
UPDATE II: Zito has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Vogelsong has been recalled. This according to the Giants’ official Twitter feed.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)