Apr 17, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Orioles starter Brian Matusz has been on the disabled list since spring training concluded due to an intercostal muscle strain.
The 2011 season is over two weeks old now and Matusz isn’t anywhere close to returning.
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the left-hander is still working out at the Orioles’ spring training complex and has not been cleared to begin throwing bullpen sessions. That likely means that he’s at least three weeks away from taking a mound in the major leagues.
O’s manager Buck Showalter told the Sun that Matusz is only feeling mild discomfort, so they could rush him through his rehab if they wanted. But Showalter and Co. aren’t going to risk it with one of their most promising young pitchers. Caution is the way.
Matusz, 24, managed a 3.63 ERA and 63/25 K/BB ratio in 72 innings after the All-Star break last season.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)