Apr 17, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Orioles starter Brian Matusz has been on the disabled list since spring training concluded due to an intercostal muscle strain.
The 2011 season is over two weeks old now and Matusz isn’t anywhere close to returning.
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the left-hander is still working out at the Orioles’ spring training complex and has not been cleared to begin throwing bullpen sessions. That likely means that he’s at least three weeks away from taking a mound in the major leagues.
O’s manager Buck Showalter told the Sun that Matusz is only feeling mild discomfort, so they could rush him through his rehab if they wanted. But Showalter and Co. aren’t going to risk it with one of their most promising young pitchers. Caution is the way.
Matusz, 24, managed a 3.63 ERA and 63/25 K/BB ratio in 72 innings after the All-Star break last season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)