Apr 17, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Dodgers setup man Hong-Chih Kuo has been injured since spring training, but he was placed on the 15-day disabled list just yesterday because he didn’t bother to tell anyone.
According to Jill Painter of the Los Angeles Daily News, Kuo strained a muscle in his lower back in March and tried to pitch through it before the Dodgers finally asked him to take an MRI this weekend and found the root of his problems.
Kuo hit the DL before Saturday night’s game and left behind a 3.38 ERA and 1.88 WHIP. Known mostly for having great control, he’s already walked four batters in just over two innings.
“We were wondering why he was always leaving (pitches) up, up, up, all the time always up,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. “He had trouble getting the ball down, even in the pen. The same thing happened (Friday) when he warmed up. We had to do something.”
The Dodgers called up righty Ramon Troncoso from Triple-A Albuquerque to serve as Kuo’s temporary replacement. Right now, the club does not have a left-hander in the bullpen.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)