Apr 17, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
Dodgers setup man Hong-Chih Kuo has been injured since spring training, but he was placed on the 15-day disabled list just yesterday because he didn’t bother to tell anyone.
According to Jill Painter of the Los Angeles Daily News, Kuo strained a muscle in his lower back in March and tried to pitch through it before the Dodgers finally asked him to take an MRI this weekend and found the root of his problems.
Kuo hit the DL before Saturday night’s game and left behind a 3.38 ERA and 1.88 WHIP. Known mostly for having great control, he’s already walked four batters in just over two innings.
“We were wondering why he was always leaving (pitches) up, up, up, all the time always up,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. “He had trouble getting the ball down, even in the pen. The same thing happened (Friday) when he warmed up. We had to do something.”
The Dodgers called up righty Ramon Troncoso from Triple-A Albuquerque to serve as Kuo’s temporary replacement. Right now, the club does not have a left-hander in the bullpen.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 44
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)