Apr 17, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore didn’t hit a single home run in the 33 games that he played last year. In fact, he hadn’t homered in a major league since August 27, 2009.
That all changed Sunday.
Sizemore was activated from the 15-day disabled list this morning after spending the first two weeks of the season building the strength of his surgically-repaired left knee. He was retired on a groundout in his first plate appearance, but he launched a solo home run to deep right field in his second at-bat.
If Sizemore can get back to slugging extra-base hits with regularity and maintain the health of his knees, maybe the Indians can continue their early season roll.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)