Apr 18, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
Two random items on a slow news day (non-Mike Leake theft division):
First, Jon Heyman writes that, in the offseason, Alex Rodriguez “begged the Yankees” to re-sign Melky Cabrera. Seems that Melky worked out with A-Rod in the offseason and was convinced that he’d be great.
I’ve seen Melky play a couple of times this year. He does look like he’s in better shape than he was last year for Atlanta. However, he looks like the same Melky we’ve always known at the plate: 70 plate appearances. One walk. Attention A-Rod: please come to the park and hit the snot out of the ball and leave the scouting to the scouting department.
Second, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com notes that with Asdrubal Cabrera playing shortstop for the Indians, Orlando Cabrera playing second and Melky Cabrera playing for the Royals, “we have a realistic shot at a groundout that goes Cabrera to Cabrera to Cabrera.”
I can’t think of anything that would make me happier.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)