Apr 18, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
Two random items on a slow news day (non-Mike Leake theft division):
First, Jon Heyman writes that, in the offseason, Alex Rodriguez “begged the Yankees” to re-sign Melky Cabrera. Seems that Melky worked out with A-Rod in the offseason and was convinced that he’d be great.
I’ve seen Melky play a couple of times this year. He does look like he’s in better shape than he was last year for Atlanta. However, he looks like the same Melky we’ve always known at the plate: 70 plate appearances. One walk. Attention A-Rod: please come to the park and hit the snot out of the ball and leave the scouting to the scouting department.
Second, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com notes that with Asdrubal Cabrera playing shortstop for the Indians, Orlando Cabrera playing second and Melky Cabrera playing for the Royals, “we have a realistic shot at a groundout that goes Cabrera to Cabrera to Cabrera.”
I can’t think of anything that would make me happier.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)