Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Last week the Blue Jays designated David Purcey for assignment and today they traded the former first-round pick to the A’s for Danny Farquhar, who originally went from Toronto to Oakland in the Rajai Davis trade back in November.
Once upon a time I thought Purcey had a chance to be a solid mid-rotation starter after posting strong strikeout numbers in the minors, but his control never shaped up enough for that to happen and now he’s trying to make it back to the majors as a 28-year-old reliever.
Farquhar was a 10th-round pick in 2008 and, much like Purcey, has posted good strikeout numbers with poor control, but it probably doesn’t say much for his long-term potential that he’s been traded 2-for-1 for a mediocre outfielder and then traded back to his original team for a DFA’d reliever in the span of six months.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)