Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Last week the Blue Jays designated David Purcey for assignment and today they traded the former first-round pick to the A’s for Danny Farquhar, who originally went from Toronto to Oakland in the Rajai Davis trade back in November.
Once upon a time I thought Purcey had a chance to be a solid mid-rotation starter after posting strong strikeout numbers in the minors, but his control never shaped up enough for that to happen and now he’s trying to make it back to the majors as a 28-year-old reliever.
Farquhar was a 10th-round pick in 2008 and, much like Purcey, has posted good strikeout numbers with poor control, but it probably doesn’t say much for his long-term potential that he’s been traded 2-for-1 for a mediocre outfielder and then traded back to his original team for a DFA’d reliever in the span of six months.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)