Baseball players and bad music go together

Apr 18, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT

Guthrie_Jeremy

Two items caught my eye this morning that make me realize how bad things have gotten with ballplayers and their love of bad music.

First is a post by MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince, detailing the walkup (and walkout) music of the Cleveland Indians. The takeaway: the vast majority of Indians like very bad music.  There are a couple of exceptions. Matt LaPorta likes a Tom Petty song, for example, but his list — which also includes Alabama and the Eagels — suggests that he may be 50 years-old.

Shelley Duncan comes out to “The Stroke” by Billy Squier, which is OK, I guess, but I have to scrutinize him pretty closely seeing as though my daughter likes him.  Would you let your daughter swoon over a Billy Squier fan?  Have you seen the video for “Rock me tonight?

Finally, why Chris Perez — a relief pitcher — comes out to “Firestarter” suggests that he’s either clueless of has a good sense of irony. I hope it’s the irony.

Then there’s Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jeremy Guthrie.  He’s his own sad case.  He was at MLB.com’s Fan Cave last week where an intervention was staged by Mike O’Hara and Ryan Wagner. I don’t think it will be a success:

I change my mind about this a lot, but at the moment, my walkup music would rotate between “What’d I Say” by Ray Charles, “Where is my Mind” by the Pixies and “How Soon is Now” by the Smiths. Yeah, that last one is kind of mopey for walkup music, but the intro is pretty sweet.

I’d normally say “don’t judge me” now, but I suppose I pretty much gave up my right to that.

1. ThatGuy - Apr 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM

+1, that was great.

2. BC - Apr 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Ultimate walkup song: “Mississippi Queen” by Mountain. Second place, “Eruption” by Van Halen. Third Place, “Slow Ride” by Foghat. The rest of the Top Ten is anything pre-1980 involving Eric Clapton.

3. banksatdixie - Apr 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I thought he would come out to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

4. bigtrav425 - Apr 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM

nothing wrong with a lil Billy Squier!!

5. IdahoMariner - Apr 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM

LOVED the intervention. Awesome.

6. Old Gator - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I still get a little shiver when Wild Thing Vaughan emerges from the bullpen to the strains of “Wild Thing.” That was electricity. After that, everything is merely music.

7. Jonny 5 - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I mostly listen to Blues, and if you know the Blues you also know most of the best blues music was done well before us mid thirties guys were out of diapers.

• BC - Apr 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Actually, some John Lee Hooker as a walkup would be cool…. Or of course Clapton pre-1980.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Everything JLH is cool… It could be nothing but.

• frankvzappa - Apr 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM

actually, most of the best blues was done before Robert Johnson ever picked up a guitar…if it aint from the 20s and 30s, it aint the good stuff…

8. iamnotacoolguy - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The intervention was awesome! Perfect pick me up on a Monday morning. I went to a couple of games last year at AT&T Park and the Giants players have some terrible music choices as well. Lots of gangster rap.

• jlhc5530 - Apr 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Not sure that’s very accurate there, chief. Unless gangster rap means the latin technocumbia torres-sandoval-renteria-uribe dropped on unsuspecting whitebreaders. I’m not a big fan of it either, sounds like the three-legged donkey of dance music. It does got a good badunk in the 5-second format with the added benefit of broadening some prudish palettes.

Wilson, however, underwhelms the most. Walking up to Jump Around? C’mon man, you’re better than that.

9. cur68 - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Jeremy Guthrie has a great sense of humor and probably has a future as a broadcaster.

The following pre-supposes I had a sense of direction, could throw harder than a 10 year old girl, and didn’t have a face for radio;

If I was pitcher I would use “Breathe” by The Prodigy. That would be it be it for me. That line “you are the victim” says it all.

For an at bat, though; LL Cool J’s “Mama Said Knock You out”. I wonder if anyone has that one?

10. JBerardi - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I guess the Redskins play Waiting Room by Fugazi at their games. As far as I know, that’s the only cool thing that has ever happened with sports and music.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOAXm94VWo&w=480&h=390%5D

11. yankeesfanlen - Apr 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

That Billy Squier thing looks like Pee Wee Herman doing “Flashdance”

12. tmohr - Apr 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Myself, I’d enter to the Dies Irae from Verdi’s Requiem:

13. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Watching the Astros game yesterday and I almost threw myself out of the window after hearing Carlos Lee’s and Humberto Quintero’s walk up song. Talk about God awful music.

14. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

How can this post have been here this long without somebody commenting on the most appropriate “walk-out” song in the history of Major League baseball…”Enter Sandman” for Mariano Rivera. If there was ever a song that could have been written for a guy to specifically walk out to at a baseball game, that’s it.

• JBerardi - Apr 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM

It would complete my life to see a closer to come out to Funhouse by the Stooges. It would also probably complete the lifespan of whatever ballpark they played it in after the crowd tears the place apart.

Yeah, I came to play and I mean to play real good.

• JBerardi - Apr 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Adding…

1. That wasn’t really meant to be a response to Fiorentino, but yes, it WOULD be a better closer song than Sandman.

2. It also occurs to me that The Stooges represent a chance for some enterprising young player to establish himself as a streetwalking cheetah with a heart full of napalm. Which, it seems to me, would represent a significant amount of leverage come contract time…

• BC - Apr 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM

“Hell’s Bells” is pretty good too….

15. frankvzappa - Apr 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

i would make my entrance to Frank Zappa’s “Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt”…yeah buddy

• pauleee - Apr 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Thanks Frank, I know what I’m going to be listening to for the next hour or so.

16. BC - Apr 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM

How about “Fat Man In The Bathtub” by Little Feat? Just to be different, I mean.

17. joeflaccosunibrow - Apr 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM

It’s not his fault!

This is the same stadium that plays “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” by John Denver every game and sometimes twice.

Don’t judge. He’s been tainted.

18. lordstanleystan - Apr 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I always thought the beginning of isreal’s son by silver chair would be a great walk in song for a closer.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5357)