Apr 18, 2011, 8:39 PM EDT
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed a short while ago that Brandon Belt could be sent back to the minors if Cody Ross is activated from the disabled list tomorrow.
Ross is scheduled to play nine innings in a minor league rehab game with Triple-A Fresno tonight, so if all goes well, he’ll likely join the team in Colorado. Darren Ford is another candidate to be sent to the minor leagues, but Bochy dropped some pretty big hints that the young first baseman will be packing his bags.
“If it’s time to make that move, it wouldn’t be the worst thing,” Bochy said. “The kid is ahead of schedule. He only had one year in the minor-leagues without frankly having much success at the highest level. We’ve thrown a lot at him. But we haven’t made the decision yet.”
Belt, 22, is batting just .200/.310/.280 over his first 58 major league plate appearances and hasn’t driven in a run since April 3. It was quite an accomplishment for him to make the team out of spring training, but he’d be better served to get his confidence back at the Triple-A level. Meanwhile, Aubrey Huff can return to his best defensive position at first base while Ross can play right field or be another option in center until Andres Torres returns.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)