Apr 18, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Brandon Webb is now more than two full years removed from his last big-league start, but the former Cy Young winner is still trying to get healthy following shoulder surgery and said yesterday that he’d be willing to pitch out of Texas’ bullpen once he does come off the disabled list.
Webb, who threw a 70-pitch bullpen session yesterday, said that he’d still rather start but “would do it … if it’s a chance to pitch.”
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Webb “is still 4-6 weeks away from completing his comeback,” so while the Rangers’ rotation looks full and is performing very well right now plenty of things could change between now and late May. On the other hand, Texas will also get starters Tommy Hunter and Scott Feldman back from the DL at some point, perhaps before Webb.
Webb’s only career relief appearance came in his MLB debut and since then he’s made 198 starts, the last of which came on Opening Day of 2009. There’s no sense in worrying about Webb’s role at this point, because he’s no longer a particularly strong bet to contribute significantly this season and if he does come back in 4-6 weeks looking good and healthy the Rangers will figure out a way to use of their $3 million investment.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 9
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 60
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)