Apr 18, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
FOX used to own the Dodgers. At this rate, they’re going to own them again someday soon:
Frank McCourt took a $30-million loan this week from Fox to meet the Dodgers’ payroll obligations, according to three people briefed on the arrangement. The arrangement is expected to cover the Dodgers’ expenses into next month … The loan marks the second time since the end of last season that Fox has provided money to the Dodgers’ owner so he could cover expenses. The loan was furnished to McCourt personally rather than to the Dodgers, according to the people briefed on the deal.
And because it was a personal loan, it did not require the approval of Major League Baseball. Baseball is still mulling, however, whether it will allow McCourt to settle his legal problems by taking a big chunk of cash from a new TV right deal for Dodgers telecasts on FOX and diverting it to Jamie McCourt and whoever the hell else Frank owes money too.
If I’m Bud, I wait this out. If he’s taking month-to-month personal loans to cover payroll, Frank is going to go bankrupt very soon and he’ll be forced to sell the Dodgers like Tom Hicks did. Sure, it may not be fabulous to have a marquee franchise in bankruptcy court, but as the Rangers showed, the process is survivable. And, once free from McCourt, the Dodgers could easily become a lucrative property once again.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 13
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car