Apr 18, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
I was going to complain about the fact that a spring on my garage door broke over the weekend, but compared to this list of injury, death and despair, that’s not too big a deal.
- Joe Mauer’s leg weakness is the result of a viral infection. Which is way less scary than the kinds of things mystery leg weakness had me worrying about. Which is what happens when you have no medical background whatsoever yet read medical/injury news.
- Case in point: Franklin Gutierrez’s stomach stuff.
- A Nationals’ prospect dies of a bacterial infection. Please, let’s move on to actual injuries. This illness stuff is unnerving.
- Roy Oswalt strained his back, but it looks like he’ll make his next start. Injuries to the rotation is the only thing that can derail the Phillies, I believe.
- The Cardinals are hitting again. At least if you pay no attention to yesterday’s game.
- Andres Torres’ Achilles tendon is messed up.
- Carl Crawford was benched on Saturday in order to clear his head. Came back yesterday with an 0 for 4. So, yeah, keep workin’ on that.
- The Mets don’t like doubleheaders. And doubleheaders don’t like them.
- Dwight Gooden is on probation.
- Chris Young’s bicep and Alex Rodriguez’s oblique cover the injuries in New York, I believe.
- Grady Sizemore is back. Jason Bay could be back tomorrow.
- Joe Nathan blew another save. And now he’s lost his job as the Twins’ closer.
- Barry Zito hits the DL for the first time in his 11-year career.
Dear God, people, let’s be careful out there.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)