Apr 18, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
I was going to complain about the fact that a spring on my garage door broke over the weekend, but compared to this list of injury, death and despair, that’s not too big a deal.
- Joe Mauer’s leg weakness is the result of a viral infection. Which is way less scary than the kinds of things mystery leg weakness had me worrying about. Which is what happens when you have no medical background whatsoever yet read medical/injury news.
- Case in point: Franklin Gutierrez’s stomach stuff.
- A Nationals’ prospect dies of a bacterial infection. Please, let’s move on to actual injuries. This illness stuff is unnerving.
- Roy Oswalt strained his back, but it looks like he’ll make his next start. Injuries to the rotation is the only thing that can derail the Phillies, I believe.
- The Cardinals are hitting again. At least if you pay no attention to yesterday’s game.
- Andres Torres’ Achilles tendon is messed up.
- Carl Crawford was benched on Saturday in order to clear his head. Came back yesterday with an 0 for 4. So, yeah, keep workin’ on that.
- The Mets don’t like doubleheaders. And doubleheaders don’t like them.
- Dwight Gooden is on probation.
- Chris Young’s bicep and Alex Rodriguez’s oblique cover the injuries in New York, I believe.
- Grady Sizemore is back. Jason Bay could be back tomorrow.
- Joe Nathan blew another save. And now he’s lost his job as the Twins’ closer.
- Barry Zito hits the DL for the first time in his 11-year career.
Dear God, people, let’s be careful out there.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)