Apr 18, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
I was going to complain about the fact that a spring on my garage door broke over the weekend, but compared to this list of injury, death and despair, that’s not too big a deal.
- Joe Mauer’s leg weakness is the result of a viral infection. Which is way less scary than the kinds of things mystery leg weakness had me worrying about. Which is what happens when you have no medical background whatsoever yet read medical/injury news.
- Case in point: Franklin Gutierrez’s stomach stuff.
- A Nationals’ prospect dies of a bacterial infection. Please, let’s move on to actual injuries. This illness stuff is unnerving.
- Roy Oswalt strained his back, but it looks like he’ll make his next start. Injuries to the rotation is the only thing that can derail the Phillies, I believe.
- The Cardinals are hitting again. At least if you pay no attention to yesterday’s game.
- Andres Torres’ Achilles tendon is messed up.
- Carl Crawford was benched on Saturday in order to clear his head. Came back yesterday with an 0 for 4. So, yeah, keep workin’ on that.
- The Mets don’t like doubleheaders. And doubleheaders don’t like them.
- Dwight Gooden is on probation.
- Chris Young’s bicep and Alex Rodriguez’s oblique cover the injuries in New York, I believe.
- Grady Sizemore is back. Jason Bay could be back tomorrow.
- Joe Nathan blew another save. And now he’s lost his job as the Twins’ closer.
- Barry Zito hits the DL for the first time in his 11-year career.
Dear God, people, let’s be careful out there.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)