Apr 18, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
After barely eeking out a 2-1 win over the Cardinals on Sunday to avoid a four-game sweep at home, the Dodgers made a move to address their hitting problems Monday, calling up top prospect Jerry Sands from Triple-A Albuquerque.
Sands, 23, was one of the PCL’s hottest hitters in the early going, having already homered five times. He was batting .400/.422/.875 with just three strikeouts in 10 games. He drove in 17 runs all by himself. The Dodgers, meanwhile, have scored 43 runs in 16 games.
With Sands up, the Dodgers will move away from the Tony Gwynn Jr.-Marcus Thames-Xavier Paul grabbag in left field. Gwynn had been getting most of the playing time, but he was htiting just .256/.293/.359 in 39 at-bats. Thames was doing better, but he’s a liability defensively. Hopefully the club will give him starts at first base against left-handers, as James Loney was awful this spring and is only getting worse. Paul was designated for assignment to make room on the roster for Sands.
Sands will be making his major league debut. The 2008 25th-round pick opened last year in low-A ball, but he ended up finishing it at Double-A and hitting 35 homers along the way. He projects as a 25-homer guy for the Dodgers, though he probably won’t hit for strong averages anytime soon. Regardless, it’s the right move for the Dodgers to give him a try. No one else was likely to step up and become an everyday guy for them.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)