Apr 18, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
General manager Sandy Alderson said last week that Jason Bay wouldn’t be returning from the disabled list before April 26, but apparently the Mets have changed their mind and now he’s scheduled to come back from a strained ribcage muscle Thursday.
He’ll have to avoid a setback first while playing minor-league rehab games tomorrow and Wednesday, and he’ll do so at high Single-A in Florida because the Mets don’t want him dealing with the colder weather at Double-A or Triple-A.
Bay hasn’t played a big-league game since suffering a concussion on July 25. During that time the Mets are just 34-45 and his replacements in left field so far this season have hit just .233 with one homer and a .690 OPS in 16 games. Bay batted .259 with six homers and a .749 OPS in 95 games before the concussion ended his disappointing first season in New York.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)