Apr 18, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Tanner Scheppers was considered a top-20 talent who dropped to the Rangers with the 44th overall pick in the 2009 draft because of an arm injury, but now back problems are slowing his rise to the majors.
Scheppers began the season on the disabled list at Triple-A with back problems, came off the shelf to make one appearance, and has now been returned to the DL with the same injury.
Scheppers racked up 90 strikeouts between Double-A and Triple-A last season and if healthy the hard-throwing right-hander has a good chance to join the Rangers’ bullpen at some point this season.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)