Apr 18, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Tanner Scheppers was considered a top-20 talent who dropped to the Rangers with the 44th overall pick in the 2009 draft because of an arm injury, but now back problems are slowing his rise to the majors.
Scheppers began the season on the disabled list at Triple-A with back problems, came off the shelf to make one appearance, and has now been returned to the DL with the same injury.
Scheppers racked up 90 strikeouts between Double-A and Triple-A last season and if healthy the hard-throwing right-hander has a good chance to join the Rangers’ bullpen at some point this season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17