Apr 18, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has an update:
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.
He was apparently caught on video. And here’s the police report.
Leake makes around half a million bucks a year, by the way, and got a $2.7 million signing bonus in 2009, so your guess as to why he’s stealing T-shirts from Macy’s is as good a guess as mine.
4:05 PM: Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested for misdemeanor theft in Cincinnati this afternoon. At the moment there is no additional information about it. Until we get more — which we’ll obviously update when we hear it — I’m going to wildly guess “dine and dash.”
Leake has three starts for the Reds this season. He’s 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA. At the plate he’s 2 for 7 with no steals, ironically enough.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)