Apr 18, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has an update:
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.
He was apparently caught on video. And here’s the police report.
Leake makes around half a million bucks a year, by the way, and got a $2.7 million signing bonus in 2009, so your guess as to why he’s stealing T-shirts from Macy’s is as good a guess as mine.
4:05 PM: Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested for misdemeanor theft in Cincinnati this afternoon. At the moment there is no additional information about it. Until we get more — which we’ll obviously update when we hear it — I’m going to wildly guess “dine and dash.”
Leake has three starts for the Reds this season. He’s 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA. At the plate he’s 2 for 7 with no steals, ironically enough.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)