Apr 18, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has an update:
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.
He was apparently caught on video. And here’s the police report.
Leake makes around half a million bucks a year, by the way, and got a $2.7 million signing bonus in 2009, so your guess as to why he’s stealing T-shirts from Macy’s is as good a guess as mine.
4:05 PM: Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested for misdemeanor theft in Cincinnati this afternoon. At the moment there is no additional information about it. Until we get more — which we’ll obviously update when we hear it — I’m going to wildly guess “dine and dash.”
Leake has three starts for the Reds this season. He’s 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA. At the plate he’s 2 for 7 with no steals, ironically enough.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)