Apr 18, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has an update:
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.
He was apparently caught on video. And here’s the police report.
Leake makes around half a million bucks a year, by the way, and got a $2.7 million signing bonus in 2009, so your guess as to why he’s stealing T-shirts from Macy’s is as good a guess as mine.
4:05 PM: Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested for misdemeanor theft in Cincinnati this afternoon. At the moment there is no additional information about it. Until we get more — which we’ll obviously update when we hear it — I’m going to wildly guess “dine and dash.”
Leake has three starts for the Reds this season. He’s 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA. At the plate he’s 2 for 7 with no steals, ironically enough.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 31
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL