Apr 18, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has an update:
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.
He was apparently caught on video. And here’s the police report.
Leake makes around half a million bucks a year, by the way, and got a $2.7 million signing bonus in 2009, so your guess as to why he’s stealing T-shirts from Macy’s is as good a guess as mine.
4:05 PM: Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested for misdemeanor theft in Cincinnati this afternoon. At the moment there is no additional information about it. Until we get more — which we’ll obviously update when we hear it — I’m going to wildly guess “dine and dash.”
Leake has three starts for the Reds this season. He’s 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA. At the plate he’s 2 for 7 with no steals, ironically enough.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)