Apr 19, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez was held out of the starting lineup tonight for the second straight day with continued soreness in his oblique/lower back, but told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he expects to return for Wednesday’s finale against the Blue Jays.
“We decided to take one more day and play tomorrow,” Rodriguez said. “I think if it was different circumstances, in September in the middle of a pennant race, perhaps we could strap it on today. But I think we’re trying to be smart about it. We’re in the middle of April. Gun to the head, there’s no question I could probably strap it on today, but I think everyone’s opinion was to take one more day.”
Eric Chavez started at third base again tonight, while Robinson Cano was bumped up to the No. 2 spot in the lineup. We’ll see how Rodriguez feels tomorrow, but the Yankees could take advantage of a scheduled off-day on Thursday and rest him until Friday’s series opener against the Orioles.
Rodriguez is batting .385/.500/.821 with four homers, five doubles and nine RBI over his first 50 plate appearances this season.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)