Apr 19, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez was held out of the starting lineup tonight for the second straight day with continued soreness in his oblique/lower back, but told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he expects to return for Wednesday’s finale against the Blue Jays.
“We decided to take one more day and play tomorrow,” Rodriguez said. “I think if it was different circumstances, in September in the middle of a pennant race, perhaps we could strap it on today. But I think we’re trying to be smart about it. We’re in the middle of April. Gun to the head, there’s no question I could probably strap it on today, but I think everyone’s opinion was to take one more day.”
Eric Chavez started at third base again tonight, while Robinson Cano was bumped up to the No. 2 spot in the lineup. We’ll see how Rodriguez feels tomorrow, but the Yankees could take advantage of a scheduled off-day on Thursday and rest him until Friday’s series opener against the Orioles.
Rodriguez is batting .385/.500/.821 with four homers, five doubles and nine RBI over his first 50 plate appearances this season.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)