Apr 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EST
St. Louis placed starting second baseman Skip Schumaker on the disabled list with a strained right biceps that he suffered Friday and Nick Punto was activated to take his spot on the roster after being sidelined since late February following hernia surgery.
Schumaker’s injury likely pushed up the timetable on Punto’s return a bit, as he comes off the DL without going on a minor-league rehab assignment or seeing any action during spring training.
He was signed to be a utility man after spending the past seven seasons as Ron Gardehire’s favorite toy in Minnesota, but Punto could easily sneak his way into the lineup over other fill-in options Daniel Descalso and Tyler Greene if manager Tony La Russa falls in love with his defense or just really, really loves when someone slides head-first into first base.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)