Apr 19, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
David Aardsma‘s comeback from January hip surgery will take a big step tonight when he begins a minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge told Greg Johns of MLB.com that Aardsma will likely be asked to make three or four rehab appearances before a return from the disabled list is considered, which means the closer could be back by the end of the month.
Seattle looks headed for another last-place season, so assuming Aardsma pitches reasonably well upon returning and can stay healthy the Mariners will almost surely renew their efforts to trade him. Fill-in closer Brandon League has converted all three of his save chances in Aardsma’s absence.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 112
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 208
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (209)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)