Apr 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Gutierrez, who’s been sidelined since mid-March and also struggled with the stomach issue for much of last season, began working out with the Mariners last week in the hopes of beginning a minor-league rehab assignment before the same digestive tract difficulty shut him down again.
In his absence the Mariners have turned to 31-year-old journeyman Ryan Langerhans as their primary center fielder, with 24-year-old Michael Saunders also seeing significant action there. Together they’ve combined to hit just .167 through 17 games.
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 10
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 7
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles