Apr 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Gutierrez, who’s been sidelined since mid-March and also struggled with the stomach issue for much of last season, began working out with the Mariners last week in the hopes of beginning a minor-league rehab assignment before the same digestive tract difficulty shut him down again.
In his absence the Mariners have turned to 31-year-old journeyman Ryan Langerhans as their primary center fielder, with 24-year-old Michael Saunders also seeing significant action there. Together they’ve combined to hit just .167 through 17 games.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)