Apr 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Gutierrez, who’s been sidelined since mid-March and also struggled with the stomach issue for much of last season, began working out with the Mariners last week in the hopes of beginning a minor-league rehab assignment before the same digestive tract difficulty shut him down again.
In his absence the Mariners have turned to 31-year-old journeyman Ryan Langerhans as their primary center fielder, with 24-year-old Michael Saunders also seeing significant action there. Together they’ve combined to hit just .167 through 17 games.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (86)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)