Apr 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Gutierrez, who’s been sidelined since mid-March and also struggled with the stomach issue for much of last season, began working out with the Mariners last week in the hopes of beginning a minor-league rehab assignment before the same digestive tract difficulty shut him down again.
In his absence the Mariners have turned to 31-year-old journeyman Ryan Langerhans as their primary center fielder, with 24-year-old Michael Saunders also seeing significant action there. Together they’ve combined to hit just .167 through 17 games.
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 37
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 17
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 43
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)