Apr 19, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
While an MRI Tuesday showed no major problems, Jake Peavy will miss his next rehab start after leaving Monday’s outing with what the White Sox are describing as muscle tenderness and irritation in his right shoulder.
Peavy, who is trying to make his way back from surgery to repair a detached lat muscle in his shoulder, threw just 15 pitches for Double-A Birmingham before exiting Monday’s game. He’ll be on anti-inflammatories, and he won’t resume throwing until Friday.
“They told me it was good news,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told the AP. “Right now with the news we got, I feel a little bit better.”
If all goes as hoped, Peavy could resume working in the minors in about 10 days.
And if all doesn’t go as hoped, at least the White Sox do have some protection. Sources told CSNChicago’s David Kaplan that the White Sox are covered by an insurance policy originally taken out by the Padres when they signed the right-hander to a three-year deal in 2009. The White Sox could be reimbursed about 65 percent of the $16 million he’ll make this year and the $17 million he’s set to earn in 2012 if he’s unable to pitch.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)