Apr 19, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
While an MRI Tuesday showed no major problems, Jake Peavy will miss his next rehab start after leaving Monday’s outing with what the White Sox are describing as muscle tenderness and irritation in his right shoulder.
Peavy, who is trying to make his way back from surgery to repair a detached lat muscle in his shoulder, threw just 15 pitches for Double-A Birmingham before exiting Monday’s game. He’ll be on anti-inflammatories, and he won’t resume throwing until Friday.
“They told me it was good news,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told the AP. “Right now with the news we got, I feel a little bit better.”
If all goes as hoped, Peavy could resume working in the minors in about 10 days.
And if all doesn’t go as hoped, at least the White Sox do have some protection. Sources told CSNChicago’s David Kaplan that the White Sox are covered by an insurance policy originally taken out by the Padres when they signed the right-hander to a three-year deal in 2009. The White Sox could be reimbursed about 65 percent of the $16 million he’ll make this year and the $17 million he’s set to earn in 2012 if he’s unable to pitch.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)