Apr 19, 2011, 10:31 PM EST
UPDATE: And wouldn’t you know it, now Mets manager Terry Collins tells Rubin that he will discuss bringing Bay back tomorrow as opposed to Thursday.
10:31 PM: Things are looking pretty bleak for the Mets at the moment, but at least they have some help on the way.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Jason Bay went 4-for-4 with two homers, four RBI and a walk earlier this evening in his third minor league rehab game with High-A St. Lucie.
Bay has been sidelined since the end of spring training due to a strained left intercostal muscle near his rib cage. He’s scheduled to play one more rehab game tomorrow before being activated from the disabled list for Thursday’s series finale against the Astros. Though, really, doesn’t it sound like he’s good to go right now?
The Mets have tried to patch things together with Willie Harris, Scott Hairston and Lucas Duda in left field, so Bay could provide a huge boost offensively if he’s right. The 32-year-old outfielder batted .259 with six homers and a .749 OPS over 401 plate appearances before a concussion ended his first season in Queens.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)