Apr 19, 2011, 6:07 PM EST
The Mariners have yet to make it offical, but they do have backup catcher Chris Gimenez listed as their starting first baseman for Wednesday’s game versus Detroit.
Mike Carp would be the logical choice to come up and fill in at first base for the club, but he’s off to a horrible start in Triple-A, having hit .093/.235/.163 with two RBI in 43 at-bats. For that reason, Matt Tuiasosopo could well be the choice instead.
Smoak, who was the main return in the Cliff Lee deal with the Rangers last year, has been the Mariners’ best player so far. He’s batting .291/.403/.491 in 55 at-bats. He hit his second homer last night in the loss to the Tigers.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 12
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4