Apr 19, 2011, 6:07 PM EDT
The Mariners have yet to make it offical, but they do have backup catcher Chris Gimenez listed as their starting first baseman for Wednesday’s game versus Detroit.
Mike Carp would be the logical choice to come up and fill in at first base for the club, but he’s off to a horrible start in Triple-A, having hit .093/.235/.163 with two RBI in 43 at-bats. For that reason, Matt Tuiasosopo could well be the choice instead.
Smoak, who was the main return in the Cliff Lee deal with the Rangers last year, has been the Mariners’ best player so far. He’s batting .291/.403/.491 in 55 at-bats. He hit his second homer last night in the loss to the Tigers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)