Apr 19, 2011, 6:07 PM EDT
The Mariners have yet to make it offical, but they do have backup catcher Chris Gimenez listed as their starting first baseman for Wednesday’s game versus Detroit.
Mike Carp would be the logical choice to come up and fill in at first base for the club, but he’s off to a horrible start in Triple-A, having hit .093/.235/.163 with two RBI in 43 at-bats. For that reason, Matt Tuiasosopo could well be the choice instead.
Smoak, who was the main return in the Cliff Lee deal with the Rangers last year, has been the Mariners’ best player so far. He’s batting .291/.403/.491 in 55 at-bats. He hit his second homer last night in the loss to the Tigers.
- The beauty of belief 9
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 69
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)