Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Peter Moylan came back incredibly strong after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in 2008, posting a 2.84 ERA in 2009 and a 2.94 ERA last season, but now he’s facing the possibility of another extended stay on the sidelines thanks to a bulging disk in his back.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Moylan hopes to avoid going under the knife for what would be his third back surgery following operations in 2001 and 2003, instead getting an epidural injection and a stint on the disabled list.
Moylan has quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since debuting in 2006 as a 27-year-old rookie, posting a 2.91 ERA with 201 strikeouts in 252 innings while allowing just 13 homers and a .236 opponents’ batting average.
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT