Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Peter Moylan came back incredibly strong after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in 2008, posting a 2.84 ERA in 2009 and a 2.94 ERA last season, but now he’s facing the possibility of another extended stay on the sidelines thanks to a bulging disk in his back.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Moylan hopes to avoid going under the knife for what would be his third back surgery following operations in 2001 and 2003, instead getting an epidural injection and a stint on the disabled list.
Moylan has quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since debuting in 2006 as a 27-year-old rookie, posting a 2.91 ERA with 201 strikeouts in 252 innings while allowing just 13 homers and a .236 opponents’ batting average.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)