Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Peter Moylan came back incredibly strong after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in 2008, posting a 2.84 ERA in 2009 and a 2.94 ERA last season, but now he’s facing the possibility of another extended stay on the sidelines thanks to a bulging disk in his back.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Moylan hopes to avoid going under the knife for what would be his third back surgery following operations in 2001 and 2003, instead getting an epidural injection and a stint on the disabled list.
Moylan has quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since debuting in 2006 as a 27-year-old rookie, posting a 2.91 ERA with 201 strikeouts in 252 innings while allowing just 13 homers and a .236 opponents’ batting average.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 62
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 39
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)