Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Peter Moylan came back incredibly strong after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in 2008, posting a 2.84 ERA in 2009 and a 2.94 ERA last season, but now he’s facing the possibility of another extended stay on the sidelines thanks to a bulging disk in his back.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Moylan hopes to avoid going under the knife for what would be his third back surgery following operations in 2001 and 2003, instead getting an epidural injection and a stint on the disabled list.
Moylan has quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since debuting in 2006 as a 27-year-old rookie, posting a 2.91 ERA with 201 strikeouts in 252 innings while allowing just 13 homers and a .236 opponents’ batting average.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)