Phillies lose J.C. Romero to calf injury, call up Mike Zagurski

Apr 19, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT

jc-romero-phillies AP

J.C. Romero went down in a heap after throwing a pitch in the ninth inning last night and today the Phillies placed him on the disabled list with a strained right calf.

Romero’s overall numbers are usually ugly because he struggles so much against right-handed hitters and often can’t find the strike zone, but he’s very effective when limited to facing left-handed hitters. He held lefties to a .174 batting average from 2008-2010.

To replace Romero on the roster and in the bullpen the Phillies have called up fellow southpaw reliever Mike Zagurski from Triple-A, where he has a 2.92 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 65 career innings. Zagurski is 28 years old and has struggled in previous big-league stints, but his track record in the minors suggests he’s capable of doing well in a middle relief role.

1. cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

This is going to be linked to having his car stolen, I know it. Not to worry though. The Phills can always go with this thing;

• Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM

He is my cousin. He got me tickets to the game.

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM

The robot or JC?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM

JC Romero’s your cousin? Wow…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Robo-boy Jonny 5 meant the Doc-esque pile of bolts and sparkplugs.

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Whew. I was sitting here thinking about how I’ve recently had a go round with that yahoo dfensfelix and wondering if it was something like insulting his relative (maybe he’s related to Dykstra; I’ve said some sh!t about that guy) that set him off and now Jonny & I are going to have it out over JC.

Well Mr. 5, I wish your robot cousin well in his debut for your home team. If he has any more tickets on offer I could do with a couple for when the Phills come to Toronto. And some plane tickets.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

You’re talking about that Dykstra post on Friday? Meh…it really doesn’t matter.

For some bizarre unknown reason, there have been a couple trolls on here taking unprovoked shots at me. I don’t know what set them off, but I also don’t care—not that it didn’t get me thinking about what could have sparked it, but after about 30 seconds, I realized that they are trolls just looking to get some sort of reaction. So I gave them none.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

LOL!! Yes, I meant the robot.

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I’d like to say I could give a crap what people have to say about me, but I think guys like that take silence as assent or victory & that d-bag was making it a serial habit. After I ignored him 3 other times I’m afraid I just snapped. Must have hurt his feelings, too. He hasn’t been back (so far). Thanks for your answer, BTW Craig. I did appreciate that (and to all who think I’m getting above my station by addressing his holiness, Pope Calcaterra, directly; let it be known I kowtowed, genuflected, and intend to back out of this conversation in a deep bow).

What’s with the Phills and pitchers who are automatic, anyways? Now you lot got a robot? Visits to the mound will be with a can of oil and flash drive to update on the pinch hitters.

Romero and his calf are a bit of an issue. I’ve strained an Achilles tendon before. Hurts like the devil. I can’t imagine his calf is any more comfy. He’ll get good care and I don’t know of anyone whose had a career ending calf strain, so he’ll be back this season, I bet. Good luck to him. Bet you wish you had a DH to run for him now, dontcha pie eaters?

• Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM

NO, We just pinch hit for ‘em!!!! AND PIE RULES!!!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM

How DARE you, sir!!!!!!!! How DARE YOU!!!! I most certainly am of such pie-eating ilk, sir!!!!! CAKE RULES!!!!!!!!

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Heh, heh. Edit fail, there UH, edit fail. You look a little ambivalent on the pie v cake issue. Backpedalling now are we? Want a piece of PIE with that now do we?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

(Hehhehheh…my bombastic response was supposed to include a “not” after certainly…I guess I need a piece of cake…or beer…aw hell, maybe both…carry on.)

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I wonder how his move to first is

• Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM

It’s terrible. I can move way better, but I can’t throw worth a damn. Damn job specific hand like appendages….

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I imagine he’s going to have some trouble with balking too…..I mean wouldn’t he be deceiving the runner with every pitch?

Big Joe better watch out for his spot in the rotation if Robo figures out a few things…….seems like he’s got lots of potential, and endurance, his arm will never get tired, a true innings eater

• Utley's Hair - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

It’s gotta be better than Justin Verlander’s.

2. leftywildcat - Apr 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

We don’t need a robot that can pitch, we need one that can bat clean-up, hit from both sides of the plate, and drive in 130 runs a season.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug