The guy who composed “da-da-da-da-da-da … Charge!” is suing everyone

Apr 19, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT

Organ

Good rule to live by in this world: someone owns just about everything. For example, you know that “”da-da-da-da-da-da … Charge!” thing they play at every ballgame? Well …

What you might not know is that a Pompano Beach man says he composed it — and says he is entitled to compensation every time it airs publicly. Bobby Kent, 62, holds a copyright for the song, a 26-measure piece he dubbed Stadium Doodads in the late 1970s. The last part of the song is the popular rally cry.

He’s suing the licensing company that sold the rights to it to sports teams, claiming they haven’t paid him his royalties. And he’s suing the sports teams too. Except the Lakers. They settled with him for $3,000.

Of course, it’s not all that simple: others claim that Bobby Kent didn’t write it himself, and that the USC Marching Band has been using it since the 1950s. Which, if I understand copyright law correctly, somehow requires that Fleetwood Mac be brought into this case too (Note: I don’t understand copyright law. But I do like to listen to “Tusk” a lot because it tends to annoy everyone).

Anyway, there’s no word at press time if Kent is going to recruit the estate of Gioachino Rossini and the guy who came up with this thing to turn this into a “charge!” class action.  And of course, Gary Glitter is unavailable for comment. If he were available, however, he’d likely say “Hey!”

1. kcroyal - Apr 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I thought it was first used at Chiefs games…I could be completely wrong, but I though that’s what they said while watching The History of the Chiefs DVD.

2. BC - Apr 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I agree “Tusk” is annoying. However, to truly annoy people, “Hair Of The Dog” by Nazareth does wonders. And nothing clears out a bar filled with age-40-and-up people than some Rob Zombie or even better, Slipknot.

3. 4d3fect - Apr 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

and yes, since you ask, I AM annoyed—my hackles are raised—that you listen to Tusk.

4. heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I hope the ancestors of Francis Scott Key don’t get wind of this……and if i’m looking to clear out a bar, Primus is my number one choice….which I don’t get because they’re on my personal music Rushmore, then again, nor do I care much

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

As long as i’m not flagged at that point that is

• BC - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Ministry works pretty well at clearing a bar as well.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM

On a dare once I did such a thing with Biohazard, Fear Factory, and the grand daddy of them all…..GWAR……..But I prefer to annoy with style, so try a Misfits, Rancid, Dead Milkmen and Dead Kennedy’s block sometime

• BC - Apr 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

No love for Slipknot? Or how about Buckcherry?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Around these parts, BuckCherry makes anthems as far as all age groups are concerned……it’s a very distrubing trend

• nightman13 - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Despite EVERYBODY saying they hate Cotton Eye Joe, I have never been to a wedding where there wasn’t a stampede to the dance floor when it comes on.

• Old Gator - Apr 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

If Key got involved, pretty soon the estate of John Stafford Smith – who actually wrote the drinking tune “The Anacreontic Drinking Song” that somehow got matched to Key’s atrocious lyrics, rivaled for sheer poetic banalty perhaps only by Joyce Kilmer and as a chronic musical vegetal state by “The Marlins will Soar” – will file some action, with a very distant cousin whose connection to the estate is entirely specious as the official plaintiff. Best part of this: the tune, which somehow rouses the sleeping Jingo (depicted in ancient Hindu manuscripts as a tone-deaf tapeworm curled at the base of the Muladhara chakra) in TPN viewers when played to open the morning show, was originally popular in barrooms with an assortment of variably risque to utterly filthy lyrics. So, next time you’re asked to stand at attention and get warm and fuzzy with guilty national pride, just remember that this tune you can’t even sing very well wasoriginally kinda like the template for “Barnacle Bill the Sailor.”

5. Innocent Bystander - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

26??? I keep trying and top out at 23. Anyone else?

6. hnirobert3 - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Everybody clap your hands, *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

• schrutebeetfarms - Apr 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Lol, now that is annoying.

7. rmalmstrom - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Hasn’t the melody been around since WWI? At least? So he uses an organ instead of a bugle and slaps a copyright on it…

8. cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I’ve found that the kryptonite for my soon to be ex-wife was any of Meatloaf’s song catalogue. Sung in falsetto, with just the right earnest tone, it was perfect for getting her to belt up and leave you alone.

If I had to clear a bar of people my age then I’d have to vote Ministry as well and, just to annoy, I’d go in with lip flapping along with the drum machine solo to “Jesus Built My Hotrod”. Nothing beats a good lip flap drum solo accompaniment for making people get lost.

And, just to stay on topic (for once); I wasn’t even aware that “Charge” was a song. Can a person really copyright “da-da-da- etc”?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Weird Al would work too……

But Meatloaf? C’mon, say it ain’t so!

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM

She likes Weird Al; go figure.

the ‘loaf and I have had a love hate relationship going back about a decade when I first cottoned on to his godlike powers. I can’t stand his work but I owe him for the peace and quiet.

9. bigharold - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Who’s got the copy write on”Yankees Suck, .. Yankees Suck” I’m sure the Nation owes this buy a bundle!

• bigharold - Apr 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Not to mention “Here we go ‘fill in the blank’ here we go” Somebody is owed a bunch on that one too!

• BC - Apr 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Same with whoever wrote The Chicken Dance.

Three legends off to Cooperstown