Apr 19, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Wanna go to a Mets game? It’s pretty darn affordable these days, reports the New York Times. Seats directly behind home plate with a face value of $134 are going for $69. Seats in boxes between third base and home plate are going for $28, when they normally retail for $80 to $134. If merely getting into the park is what you’re after, $3 gets the job done.
People may be inclined to mock this as a function of a bad team suffering bad times, but I see a silver lining. There are families who have been priced out of baseball in the past several years. And those that haven’t been totally priced out have at least been priced back into worse seats or way up high into the nose-bleeds. These cheap seats, however, may be result is some people going to the ballpark who may not have otherwise gone, sitting where they might not have otherwise sat, if only on a couple of occasions.
I didn’t go to a ton of baseball games when I was a kid, but I was lucky enough to go to a handful in some pretty darn good seats. I think being close to the action like that played a big role in my becoming a baseball fan. Ask people who suffered through lean times in Cleveland and places like that and they’ll tell you the same thing.
While it may hurt the Mets’ bottom line in the short term, a plethora of good cheap seats may very well help create some fans who may not have otherwise been created.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 50
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement