Apr 19, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jason Beck confirmed Tuesday that the Tigers are placing Victor Martinez on the 15-day disabled list because of the strained right groin he suffered Monday night.
It’s certainly not the way the Tigers wanted to go about it, but it does alleviate the playing-time conundrum that had arisen with Magglio Ordonez back from his ankle injury. Now the Tigers can let Ordonez serve as a DH most of the time, with Ryan Raburn and Brennan Boesch manning the outfield corners.
That’s the team’s best defensive alignment. Last night, the Tigers used Raburn at second base, with Ordonez and Boesch in the outfield, in an 8-3 win over the Mariners.
The Tigers weren’t carrying a true backup catcher with Martinez sharing time behind the plate, so Omir Santos gets the call in Martinez’s place. He’ll play behind Alex Avila and start against the occasional left-hander over the next couple of weeks. Martinez had started five games at catcher and 11 at DH for the 8-9 Tigers.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 97
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39