Apr 19, 2011, 6:57 PM EST
MLB.com’s Jason Beck confirmed Tuesday that the Tigers are placing Victor Martinez on the 15-day disabled list because of the strained right groin he suffered Monday night.
It’s certainly not the way the Tigers wanted to go about it, but it does alleviate the playing-time conundrum that had arisen with Magglio Ordonez back from his ankle injury. Now the Tigers can let Ordonez serve as a DH most of the time, with Ryan Raburn and Brennan Boesch manning the outfield corners.
That’s the team’s best defensive alignment. Last night, the Tigers used Raburn at second base, with Ordonez and Boesch in the outfield, in an 8-3 win over the Mariners.
The Tigers weren’t carrying a true backup catcher with Martinez sharing time behind the plate, so Omir Santos gets the call in Martinez’s place. He’ll play behind Alex Avila and start against the occasional left-hander over the next couple of weeks. Martinez had started five games at catcher and 11 at DH for the 8-9 Tigers.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)