Apr 19, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jason Beck confirmed Tuesday that the Tigers are placing Victor Martinez on the 15-day disabled list because of the strained right groin he suffered Monday night.
It’s certainly not the way the Tigers wanted to go about it, but it does alleviate the playing-time conundrum that had arisen with Magglio Ordonez back from his ankle injury. Now the Tigers can let Ordonez serve as a DH most of the time, with Ryan Raburn and Brennan Boesch manning the outfield corners.
That’s the team’s best defensive alignment. Last night, the Tigers used Raburn at second base, with Ordonez and Boesch in the outfield, in an 8-3 win over the Mariners.
The Tigers weren’t carrying a true backup catcher with Martinez sharing time behind the plate, so Omir Santos gets the call in Martinez’s place. He’ll play behind Alex Avila and start against the occasional left-hander over the next couple of weeks. Martinez had started five games at catcher and 11 at DH for the 8-9 Tigers.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 67
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)