Apr 19, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jason Beck confirmed Tuesday that the Tigers are placing Victor Martinez on the 15-day disabled list because of the strained right groin he suffered Monday night.
It’s certainly not the way the Tigers wanted to go about it, but it does alleviate the playing-time conundrum that had arisen with Magglio Ordonez back from his ankle injury. Now the Tigers can let Ordonez serve as a DH most of the time, with Ryan Raburn and Brennan Boesch manning the outfield corners.
That’s the team’s best defensive alignment. Last night, the Tigers used Raburn at second base, with Ordonez and Boesch in the outfield, in an 8-3 win over the Mariners.
The Tigers weren’t carrying a true backup catcher with Martinez sharing time behind the plate, so Omir Santos gets the call in Martinez’s place. He’ll play behind Alex Avila and start against the occasional left-hander over the next couple of weeks. Martinez had started five games at catcher and 11 at DH for the 8-9 Tigers.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)