Apr 19, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Victor Martinez left last night’s Tigers-Mariners game with a groin injury. After the game he said he’d hope it would feel better in a couple of days, but that may be an overly optimistic assessment. Jim Leyland said after the game that he’d have to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and that “I’m sure we have to do something.” ”Do something” suggests more than giving Martinez a couple of days off. It suggests a disabled list move.
The Tigers broke out the bats last night, but there are concerns on offense. They struggled mightily against the A’s over the weekend and several players — Austin Jackson, Brandon Inge. Will Rhymes and Ryan Raburn — have been ineffective. For the Tigers to win, they need their handful of potent bats — Miguel Cabrera and Martinez most prominent among them — to carry the load. That’ll be much harder with V-Mart on the sidelines.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?