Apr 19, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Victor Martinez left last night’s Tigers-Mariners game with a groin injury. After the game he said he’d hope it would feel better in a couple of days, but that may be an overly optimistic assessment. Jim Leyland said after the game that he’d have to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and that “I’m sure we have to do something.” “Do something” suggests more than giving Martinez a couple of days off. It suggests a disabled list move.
The Tigers broke out the bats last night, but there are concerns on offense. They struggled mightily against the A’s over the weekend and several players — Austin Jackson, Brandon Inge. Will Rhymes and Ryan Raburn — have been ineffective. For the Tigers to win, they need their handful of potent bats — Miguel Cabrera and Martinez most prominent among them — to carry the load. That’ll be much harder with V-Mart on the sidelines.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 80
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)