Apr 19, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Victor Martinez left last night’s Tigers-Mariners game with a groin injury. After the game he said he’d hope it would feel better in a couple of days, but that may be an overly optimistic assessment. Jim Leyland said after the game that he’d have to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and that “I’m sure we have to do something.” “Do something” suggests more than giving Martinez a couple of days off. It suggests a disabled list move.
The Tigers broke out the bats last night, but there are concerns on offense. They struggled mightily against the A’s over the weekend and several players — Austin Jackson, Brandon Inge. Will Rhymes and Ryan Raburn — have been ineffective. For the Tigers to win, they need their handful of potent bats — Miguel Cabrera and Martinez most prominent among them — to carry the load. That’ll be much harder with V-Mart on the sidelines.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)