Apr 19, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Victor Martinez left last night’s Tigers-Mariners game with a groin injury. After the game he said he’d hope it would feel better in a couple of days, but that may be an overly optimistic assessment. Jim Leyland said after the game that he’d have to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and that “I’m sure we have to do something.” “Do something” suggests more than giving Martinez a couple of days off. It suggests a disabled list move.
The Tigers broke out the bats last night, but there are concerns on offense. They struggled mightily against the A’s over the weekend and several players — Austin Jackson, Brandon Inge. Will Rhymes and Ryan Raburn — have been ineffective. For the Tigers to win, they need their handful of potent bats — Miguel Cabrera and Martinez most prominent among them — to carry the load. That’ll be much harder with V-Mart on the sidelines.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)