Apr 19, 2011, 9:58 AM EST
Victor Martinez left last night’s Tigers-Mariners game with a groin injury. After the game he said he’d hope it would feel better in a couple of days, but that may be an overly optimistic assessment. Jim Leyland said after the game that he’d have to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and that “I’m sure we have to do something.” “Do something” suggests more than giving Martinez a couple of days off. It suggests a disabled list move.
The Tigers broke out the bats last night, but there are concerns on offense. They struggled mightily against the A’s over the weekend and several players — Austin Jackson, Brandon Inge. Will Rhymes and Ryan Raburn — have been ineffective. For the Tigers to win, they need their handful of potent bats — Miguel Cabrera and Martinez most prominent among them — to carry the load. That’ll be much harder with V-Mart on the sidelines.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)