Woman sues Yankees, claims her uncle invented the top hat logo

Apr 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Top hat logo

You’d think that at some point in the past 75 years this would have been sorted out, but I guess not:

In a suit filed yesterday in Manhattan federal court, Tanit Buday claims the Bronx Bombers copied their famed top-hat logo from a design dreamed up by her late uncle in 1936 at the request of then-Yankee owner Jacob Ruppert. Buday, 63, is seeking unspecified damages for copyright infringement, unjust enrichment and breach of contract with her uncle, Kenneth Timur.

This will probably get dismissed really quickly.  That is, unless Buday’s attorney successfully moves for a bad court thingy.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Uncle Same invented that and he still receives ‘royalties’ for it.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM

*Sam

2. Old Gator - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Craig, you have resigned from the bar officially, haven’t you?

Good. Now then:

First let’s kill all the lawyers.
    -W. Shakespeare

• hardjudge - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Lets start with those appearing pro se. Old Gator are you pro se?

• Old Gator - Apr 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM

No, I’m more like per se.

• jwbiii - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I trust you know the context of this. Of course, plotters trying to otherthrow the government, establish an anarcho-utopian state and ban light beer does have some appeal.

• Old Gator - Apr 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Oh I know – killing the lawyers was a step towards imposing an authoritarian regime. In primitive times, lawyers stood for rule of logical order and were believed to be guarantors of legal rights. Of course, we’ve had a couple of ice ages and a pretty significant meteor hit since then….

• bigharold - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:49 AM

“Take all the Lawyers and drag them out in the street and shoot them down like dogs”

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance… 1962

3. pisano - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Good luck!

4. sportsdrenched - Apr 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I’m going to Copyright and Trademark “Sueing for stuff I/A Distant relative may or may not have created” and sue those people for copyright infringement.

5. cur68 - Apr 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM

You know what’s so aggravating about all the nuisance suing over there in the States? People on this side of the border think they can do it, too. It’s always a shock to them when they find that they might win, yes, but the compensation isn’t anything like what some juries hand out over in the States. At any rate, I wonder what her chances are? I seriously doubt that there is any precedence that would lead someone to think that they could be a generation removed from that logo and and still have a shot at royalties from it. Anything for a buck, eh?

• tubal22 - Apr 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Except in Britain, courts make the attorney’s pay.

I just read about an RIAA case where a firm in the UK threatened to sue a bunch of people for downloading. They settled with a bunch, but there were a few that wanted to go to court. After they hired attorneys, and the law firm realized they weren’t going to give in, they dropped the cases. The judge ended up making the law firm pay all the lawyer fees, even though they didn’t go to trial.

I think a lawyer should get 3 frivolous lawsuits before they get disbarred.

6. Panda Claus - Apr 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I’ll take Frivolous Lawsuits for $200, Alex.

The answer to the $100 question was Let’s sue for the rights to da-da-da-da-da Charge! theme.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’ll take Famous Titties for $500 Alex

- Sean Connery

• bigharold - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:51 AM

“Let’s sue for the rights to da-da-da-da-da Charge! theme.

I’ll bet these people are related.

7. raysfan1 - Apr 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Between this and the “Da-da-da-da, charge” case, I’m glad to hear Jackie Chiles is keeping busy.

• wintwins - Apr 20, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Who told you to put the balm on? I didn’t tell you to put the balm on!

• jwbiii - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

8. bigharold - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Of course now Craig will forever be known sa the former law talking guy. You wearing pants Criag?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5561)