And now we have a robot batter

Apr 20, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT

All the talk of the robot umpires and the robot first pitch led reader jwbiii to alert us to the fact of a robot batter. It may be old – it’s been on YouTube for like three years — but I haven’t seen it before.

Personally, when it comes to mechanical men, I prefer Charlie Gehringer.

1. texasdawg - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Sweet. A robotic Julio Borbon.

2. wurst2first - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Nothing says “Robotics Engineering” like a shirtless dude on a baseball field in the middle of nowhere.

3. Jonny 5 - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I’d say he needs to work on his swing some.

4. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM

We are that much closer to seeing my dream of a real-life version of Nintendo’s BaseWars game. I’m actually kind of ok with this, as long as the umpire’s preserve the game’s human element.

5. mentalotherhalf - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Der-ek Jet-er!

(Clap. Clap. Clapclapclap…)

Sigh.

6. cur68 - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

That guy looks kind of brittle. I’ll bet you anything he breaks something trying to slide into home. Then blames the shirtless guy for sending him.

However when he achieves sentience and goes on a rampage I for one will be first in line with the hot motor oil and chamois. Survival of the most obsequious, that’s my motto….

• dfensfelix - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Tell us something we didn’t know.

• cur68 - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

d-felix! I thought I smelled something. Howya doing there little fella?

So you want to hear something you didn’t know, eh? Sure, brah. You should bathe more. That smell is nauseating.

So you got a robot or baseball related (or robot-baseball related) comment or are you just here for me? Someone mentioned on the Matsuzaka post that you might be making a 2nd grade type clumsy attempt at a bromance with me. Awww, shucks, brah, I’m flattered. You should know though, homey don’t play that. Except for Roger Bernadina; he’s in the best shape of his life, you know. Anyways, must go; use soap next time, eh? There’s a good little troll.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet