Apr 20, 2011, 1:03 AM EDT
Following Tuesday’s 15-4 win over the Rangers, the Angels made the move many had anticipated since the end of last season, designating former top prospect Brandon Wood for assignment.
The transaction opens up a roster spot for the returning Erick Aybar.
Wood reached on an error in his lone at-bat in tonight’s rout. He was 2-for-14 with eight strikeouts on the season. In his major league career, he’s hit .168 with 11 homers, 33 RBI and a ridiculous 153/13 K/BB ratio in 463 at-bats.
Wood was rated by Baseball America as the game’s No. 3 prospect prior to the 2006 season and No. 8 prospect a year later. He hit 43 homers for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga in 2005 and then 25 in Double-A the next year. While he struggled some in his first year in Triple-A in 2007, he still was largely a success in Triple-A, hitting .283/.350/.536 with 77 homers in 1,437 at-bats for Salt Lake. He just hasn’t been able to carry that over to the majors, though, and his awful approach at the plate has left him with few believers.
That said, it would be something of a surprise if Wood clears waivers. He plays a capable shortstop and an above average third base. He’s just 26 and the power is there for him to hit 20-to-25 homers per year in the majors. The Mariners and Astros both have little to play for this year and long-term question marks on the left side of their infielders, so both should consider putting in a claim. The Pirates and Dodgers are other teams that might weigh a move.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)