Apr 20, 2011, 1:03 AM EDT
Following Tuesday’s 15-4 win over the Rangers, the Angels made the move many had anticipated since the end of last season, designating former top prospect Brandon Wood for assignment.
The transaction opens up a roster spot for the returning Erick Aybar.
Wood reached on an error in his lone at-bat in tonight’s rout. He was 2-for-14 with eight strikeouts on the season. In his major league career, he’s hit .168 with 11 homers, 33 RBI and a ridiculous 153/13 K/BB ratio in 463 at-bats.
Wood was rated by Baseball America as the game’s No. 3 prospect prior to the 2006 season and No. 8 prospect a year later. He hit 43 homers for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga in 2005 and then 25 in Double-A the next year. While he struggled some in his first year in Triple-A in 2007, he still was largely a success in Triple-A, hitting .283/.350/.536 with 77 homers in 1,437 at-bats for Salt Lake. He just hasn’t been able to carry that over to the majors, though, and his awful approach at the plate has left him with few believers.
That said, it would be something of a surprise if Wood clears waivers. He plays a capable shortstop and an above average third base. He’s just 26 and the power is there for him to hit 20-to-25 homers per year in the majors. The Mariners and Astros both have little to play for this year and long-term question marks on the left side of their infielders, so both should consider putting in a claim. The Pirates and Dodgers are other teams that might weigh a move.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)