Inevitability theater: Philly fans booed the robot

Apr 20, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT

Johnny 5

Actually, the robot totally deserved the booing. According to those who saw the first pitch from that first-pitch-throwing robot a few minutes ago, he bounced it to the plate.  Brain as big as a planet and he can’t fling a sphere 60 feet on the fly. I’m far less impressed with this “machines become self-aware” business.

Your move, zombies.

1. BC - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Jeez, even I can get it to the plate without bouncing it. What a wimp this thing is.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Maybe you should be pitching for the Mutts.

2. jhorton83 - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM

When the robots do become self-aware, it’s pretty clear which city they’ll go after first now.

3. cur68 - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Oh man. Bad move Philly. Don’t anger these things. I’m not saying take the Calcaterra full capitulation route but show them a bit of respect. Just to be safe I thank my Mr. Coffee every morning. I swear the red light on that thing is watching me…

4. loungefly74 - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Skynet became self aware at 8:11 last night!

• kellyb9 - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Haha. I thought the same thing when I saw an article about Terminator yesterday and this robot.

5. jwbiii - Apr 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The hitters are ahead of the pitchers at this point.

• macjacmccoy - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

So wait Reagan had trillions of dollars and the worlds best scienctists at his disposal to figure out how to get a machine to knock a flying object out of the air with his Star Wars project and couldnt get it done but some nerds can figure out how to do basically the same thing (obviously on a much smaller scale) on a college labs budget. He must be rolling over in his grave. Makes you wonder where America would be if wasnt for us tricking that German scientist (einstien) into helping us build the nuclear bomb or basically kidnapping a bunch of Nazi scientists after the war and holding them captive on miltary bases to teach us how to make rockets, lazers, radar etc..

6. ThatGuy - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I for one welcome our new baseball playing robot overlords…

7. philliesphan - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM

we heard it was a robot throwing out the first pitch and just assumed it was Halladay. Everyone was dissapointed it wasn’t.

8. Panda Claus - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I heard even Santa Claus was booing the robot.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

No…Santa was throwing vomit covered snowballs with Taser batteries inside.

• grapes911 - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I was about to throw batteries at it, but I wasn’t sure if that would be incorrectly viewed as appreciation.

9. uuddlrlrbastart - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Haven’t they had pitching machines for years? This doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade, technology-wise.

10. philly56 - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Local news said that the ball only bounced because the power of the phillybot was intentionally turned down to prevent injury to the phanatic….riiiiiiiiiiiight

Not gonna lie, the toss was pathetic and had I been there i’d have boo’ed as well.

11. leftywildcat - Apr 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Robot looks just like Bud Selig.

All the trade deadline news to know