Apr 20, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
The Mets are off to their worst start ever and, no, it hasn’t been pretty. But I am crazy to think that the multiple obituaries in this morning’s papers are premature? Joel Sherman is calling for the fire sale. Tim Smith describes the apocalypse.
No, I don’t think it was reasonable to expect the Mets to challenge the Phillies this year, but I still believe that it’s a team that could play .500 ball or maybe a shade better if they get the breaks. If that was the doomsayers’ expectation, they shouldn’t be declaring the Mets dead right now because while 5-12 is bad, it’s not the sort of start that forecloses an 80-85 win season. If, rather, they predicted better, such a prediction was unreasonable in the first place. But hey, it’s New York and the Mets have played awful baseball, so you have to expect this sort of thing.
It’s the next phase that interests me the most. The phase in which a general manager with a demonstrated track record of not panicking, not bowing to media pressure, understanding sample sizes and, most importantly, understanding the market for high priced, soon-to-be-free-agent veterans (i.e. low) resists the increasing calls for a fire sale.
Think that will play well in the tabloids and on talk radio?
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)