Apr 20, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
The Mets are off to their worst start ever and, no, it hasn’t been pretty. But I am crazy to think that the multiple obituaries in this morning’s papers are premature? Joel Sherman is calling for the fire sale. Tim Smith describes the apocalypse.
No, I don’t think it was reasonable to expect the Mets to challenge the Phillies this year, but I still believe that it’s a team that could play .500 ball or maybe a shade better if they get the breaks. If that was the doomsayers’ expectation, they shouldn’t be declaring the Mets dead right now because while 5-12 is bad, it’s not the sort of start that forecloses an 80-85 win season. If, rather, they predicted better, such a prediction was unreasonable in the first place. But hey, it’s New York and the Mets have played awful baseball, so you have to expect this sort of thing.
It’s the next phase that interests me the most. The phase in which a general manager with a demonstrated track record of not panicking, not bowing to media pressure, understanding sample sizes and, most importantly, understanding the market for high priced, soon-to-be-free-agent veterans (i.e. low) resists the increasing calls for a fire sale.
Think that will play well in the tabloids and on talk radio?
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)