Apr 20, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
The Mets are off to their worst start ever and, no, it hasn’t been pretty. But I am crazy to think that the multiple obituaries in this morning’s papers are premature? Joel Sherman is calling for the fire sale. Tim Smith describes the apocalypse.
No, I don’t think it was reasonable to expect the Mets to challenge the Phillies this year, but I still believe that it’s a team that could play .500 ball or maybe a shade better if they get the breaks. If that was the doomsayers’ expectation, they shouldn’t be declaring the Mets dead right now because while 5-12 is bad, it’s not the sort of start that forecloses an 80-85 win season. If, rather, they predicted better, such a prediction was unreasonable in the first place. But hey, it’s New York and the Mets have played awful baseball, so you have to expect this sort of thing.
It’s the next phase that interests me the most. The phase in which a general manager with a demonstrated track record of not panicking, not bowing to media pressure, understanding sample sizes and, most importantly, understanding the market for high priced, soon-to-be-free-agent veterans (i.e. low) resists the increasing calls for a fire sale.
Think that will play well in the tabloids and on talk radio?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)