The Rangers call up Brett Tomko

Apr 20, 2011, 5:45 PM EST

tomko mad AP

Yay! Another baseball player who is older than I am — there aren’t many left! — will play in the bigs this year, as the Rangers have purchased Brett Tomko‘s contract from Round Rock. Tomko will pitch middle relief, filling in for Mason Tobin, who hurt his elbow.

Tomko hasn’t pitched in a major league game since September 2009.  He has pitched 11 innings at Round Rock this season, giving up 11 hits, striking out 6, walking 5 and posting an ERA of 6.35.

And no, if he wasn’t an old recognizable name whose very existence as an active ballplayer makes me feel younger, I likely would not have posted about this transaction.

1. uuddlrlrbastart - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Shouldn’t this get a “Breaking” tag, too? Because I don’t think anyone saw this coming.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Sometimes it warms your heart just to know a ballplayer isn’t dead.

…right?!

3. bhall4444 - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM

How the hell do you pitch 11 innings, give up 11 hits, have a 6+ run ERA and get a trip to the bigs?!?! Good for him. HEY ANYONE, I’m a free agent. 36 year old knuckleballer,,,haven’t pitched in 15 years, but I’m available for a contract with at least 2 commas in the the number………Worth a shot eh?

• uuddlrlrbastart - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Pffft. Bobby Bonilla is making more than a $1 million a year for the next 20 years to not play for the Mets. I feel grossly underpaid at my current $0 salary.

• bhall4444 - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

It is just sick isn’t it…..But you know, I don’t begrudge those guys at all for taking the money. Good for them.

4. blasthoff - Apr 20, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I’ve only been off the field 42 years (well rested). I’ve got a 49 mph fastball unlike any in the Major Leagues guaranteed! Add to that a change up that is hard to believe (honest) :D. As an added bonus I was every bit as fast as Maury Wills at his peak an equal number of years and pounds ago. You do know what they say about how things get better with age, you could look it up.

Anyway, I would be happy to sacrifice and sign on at the league minimum to help out.

5. wlschneider09 - Apr 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Speaking for those of us who lost our beacon of hope when Jamie Moyer retired, I feel your pain.

6. BC - Apr 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I think the only two guys left that are older than me are Wakefield and Moyer (assuming you still consider Moyer active). Matt Stairs is up there, but I think I have him beat by a couple years.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester