Apr 21, 2011, 10:36 PM EST
Pagan suffered the injury in a collision with new Mets second baseman Justin Turner. The two were both trying to track down a shallow pop fly hit by Hunter Pence in the fourth inning when Turner backpedaled right into Pagan’s ribs.
Pagan played another two innings but finally departed after batting in the bottom of the fifth.
If the Mets’ team physicians find a strained oblique muscle when they reevaluate Pagan on Friday morning, it’s likely that he will require a stint on the 15-day disabled list. Willie Harris came on to play center field on Thursday night and would likely see a big bump in playing time in Pagan’s absence.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 47
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 36
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 52
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)