Apr 21, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
I laughed when the Yankees signed Bartolo Colon. A lot of people did. I figured that he’d come to camp, not make the team, get assigned to extended spring training in Tampa and — as he has done a couple of times in recent years — decide that he’d prefer to be back home doing whatever it is he does with his free time rather than playing baseball.
I certainly couldn’t have been more wrong about something than I was about that. Colon thrived in spring training. Despite out-pitching Freddy Garcia, he willingly and seemingly happily accepted his role as a long reliever when the season began. Each time he came in — usually for the faltering Phil Hughes — he was effective. And yesterday, making his first start on the year he was effective again: he allowed two runs and five hits in six and two-thirds innings, picking up his first win in nearly two years.
Overall on the year Colon has struck out 20 batters in 18 innings against five walks. The only question about him at the moment is his durability, but so far he’s done everything he’s been asked to do and he’s done it well. If his season ended tomorrow for some reason he has already provided a valuable boost to the Yankees.
Not bad, Bartolo. Please, accept my apologies for the laughter.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)