Bartolo Colon is delivering for the Yankees

Apr 21, 2011, 9:33 AM EST

New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

I laughed when the Yankees signed Bartolo Colon. A lot of people did. I figured that he’d come to camp, not make the team, get assigned to extended spring training in Tampa and — as he has done a couple of times in recent years — decide that he’d prefer to be back home doing whatever it is he does with his free time rather than playing baseball.

I certainly couldn’t have been more wrong about something than I was about that. Colon thrived in spring training. Despite out-pitching Freddy Garcia, he willingly and seemingly happily accepted his role as a long reliever when the season began.  Each time he came in — usually for the faltering Phil Hughes — he was effective.  And yesterday, making his first start on the year he was effective again: he allowed two runs and five hits in six and two-thirds innings, picking up his first win in nearly two years.

Overall on the year Colon has struck out 20 batters in 18 innings against five walks.  The only question about him at the moment is his durability, but so far he’s done everything he’s been asked to do and he’s done it well. If his season ended tomorrow for some reason he has already provided a valuable boost to the Yankees.

Not bad, Bartolo.  Please, accept my apologies for the laughter.

1. Old Gator - Apr 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Apologize for farting. Never apologize for laughter.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Unless you laugh at someone who just fell down the steps.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

It’ll be okay if they were carrying a pie.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM

mmmm, pie…………

• mentalotherhalf - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

It would seem appropriate, in those circumstances requiring an apology for farting, to apologize for laughing about the fart one just cut.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Good point. I’ve blown farts while laughing before.

Gator, what’s the proper etiquette in that case?

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

What if you fart, and it makes someone laugh, or you laugh? Do you still apologize?

• cur68 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I’ve always followed the maxim; blame someone else. Then laugh. Is this wrong?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM

To be fair, it only makes sense that we wait at least a month before we apologize to/praise/criticize/physically assault anyone in baseball. I believe this falls under the “it’s still early” exemption…

…unless you’re a Mariners fan. You’re season is over anyway. Do what you gotta do.

*and then the Twins fan wept*

3. yankeesfanlen - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hey, maybe I’ll name him THE FAT ACE. I thought from spring training, o many moons ago, that he was the best choice between himself, Garcia (next best) and Nova. If we can keep this up, it’ll soon be our new Andy Pettitte.

4. itsacurse - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM

STARTOLO COLON

5. spudchukar - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I still vie for Large Colon.

6. trevorb06 - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

He’s sure been giving the opposition a colon-oscopy

• mentalotherhalf - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I tried to give you both a thumbs-up and a thumbs-down for that, but the system wouldn’t let me. WordPress: apparently, not so comfortable with the ambiguity.

7. cur68 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I made my Colon-anatomy joke yesterday so I’m out, but watching that guy pitch last evening was a jaw dropper. I talked some sh!t about that guy(see what I did there? Heh, heh, heh), but I love an underdog and Fat Bart really made me like him. He looked better than Burnett by a country mile. All his fastballs moved, left and right, his change up was a knee buckler and he was still dealing it 94 mph into the 7th. He made his relief pitchers look so much more hittable; their stuff didn’t move half as much. Somebody needs to bottle his sweat and study it (he can really sweat, too; looked he was having a shower out there). Way to go man.

• spudchukar - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Adipose tissue tends to osmose when exerted.

8. frankbuc - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I watched the game last night and he located his fastball and it had a lot of late life. He consistently hit 93-94mph. A lot of swings and misses and a few K’s looking. Good breaking ball too. If he proves durable he’s quite a find.

9. deathmonkey41 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM

“I certainly couldn’t have been more wrong about something than I was about that.”

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, Craig- you’re wrong a lot.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Really his night was better than the final stats looked. Through 6 IP he had given up 1 run on 2 or 3 hits. When he came back out for the 7th (he’ll have to explain what that faraway land looks like to most of the other Yankee starters) he gave up a couple of hits and a walk. Then Dave Robertson allowed an inherited runner to score after Colon was pulled with 2 outs. I think Nova will probably be sent packing once Hughes comes back from his Phantom injury.

11. Jonny 5 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I have to say that the AL east is some sort of bizzarro result of the baseball gods being angry with our audacity to think we could accurately predict their madness. The Yankees are still the best team ? The Bosox are worse off after adding CRAWFORD and GONZALEZ?

Please HBT, you must republish the predictions thread at the end of the season. Just for Ha ha’s

12. marshmallowsnake - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Food money…much like when an aging rock star makes a comeback tour…

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

or starts appearing in infomercials…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6273)