Apr 21, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
I laughed when the Yankees signed Bartolo Colon. A lot of people did. I figured that he’d come to camp, not make the team, get assigned to extended spring training in Tampa and — as he has done a couple of times in recent years — decide that he’d prefer to be back home doing whatever it is he does with his free time rather than playing baseball.
I certainly couldn’t have been more wrong about something than I was about that. Colon thrived in spring training. Despite out-pitching Freddy Garcia, he willingly and seemingly happily accepted his role as a long reliever when the season began. Each time he came in — usually for the faltering Phil Hughes — he was effective. And yesterday, making his first start on the year he was effective again: he allowed two runs and five hits in six and two-thirds innings, picking up his first win in nearly two years.
Overall on the year Colon has struck out 20 batters in 18 innings against five walks. The only question about him at the moment is his durability, but so far he’s done everything he’s been asked to do and he’s done it well. If his season ended tomorrow for some reason he has already provided a valuable boost to the Yankees.
Not bad, Bartolo. Please, accept my apologies for the laughter.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 26
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 126
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (127)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)