Apr 21, 2011, 9:52 PM EST
Not much has been going right for the Mets this season. They’re stuck in the bottom of the National League East standings and most experts have already written them off for the postseason.
Chris Young has been a bright spot. Signed to a bargain one-year, $1.1 million contract this winter, he posted a 1.46 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio over his first two regular season starts and has now made a quick recovery from a mild case of biceps tendinitis.
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, Young threw a successful three-inning simulated game on Thursday afternoon at Citi Field and is pushing to return to the Mets’ rotation on Tuesday night against the Nationals. He will toss a final bullpen session Saturday to prove his readiness.
“I think so,” Young said when asked about skipping a minor league rehab assignment. “I haven’t missed too much. I think if it were prolonged, I’d probably need a rehab start. But at this point I still feel comfortable picking up hopefully where I left off.”
Dillon Gee, 24, has been filling in for Young. He limited the Braves to one earned run over five-plus innings on Sunday but will likely head back to the Triple-A level once Young is deemed fit to return.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)