Apr 21, 2011, 9:52 PM EDT
Not much has been going right for the Mets this season. They’re stuck in the bottom of the National League East standings and most experts have already written them off for the postseason.
Chris Young has been a bright spot. Signed to a bargain one-year, $1.1 million contract this winter, he posted a 1.46 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio over his first two regular season starts and has now made a quick recovery from a mild case of biceps tendinitis.
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, Young threw a successful three-inning simulated game on Thursday afternoon at Citi Field and is pushing to return to the Mets’ rotation on Tuesday night against the Nationals. He will toss a final bullpen session Saturday to prove his readiness.
“I think so,” Young said when asked about skipping a minor league rehab assignment. “I haven’t missed too much. I think if it were prolonged, I’d probably need a rehab start. But at this point I still feel comfortable picking up hopefully where I left off.”
Dillon Gee, 24, has been filling in for Young. He limited the Braves to one earned run over five-plus innings on Sunday but will likely head back to the Triple-A level once Young is deemed fit to return.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)