Apr 21, 2011, 8:23 AM EST
This nugget in the AP’s report about Major League Baseball’s takeover of the Dodgers is every bit expected as it is depressing: a baseball executive familiar with the situation said that McCourt is preparing to sue Major League Baseball. He has reportedly hired the law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell to do it, too.
Good luck. My understanding of the matter — and someone, please, tell me if I’m off base here — is that Selig can basically do anything with a team and its owner (i.e. approve his bid, kick him out, take control over his team, etc.) as long as he has the support of 3/4 of the other owners. Selig rarely does anything unless he has consensus. For him to have taken over the Dodgers means that he almost certainly has the backing of baseball’s other owners.
I’m guessing that the threat of legal action is bluster. And even if it isn’t bluster, it’s doomed to failure. Frank McCourt signed an agreement with Major League Baseball when he bought the Dodgers. I’m guessing what happened yesterday is provided for in its provisions.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)