Jered Weaver continues to mow ‘em down

Apr 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Angels starting pitcher Weaver tips his cap to center fielder Bourjos during their MLB American League baseball game in Arlington

Given his early season dominance, I had made a mental note to keep a close eye on Jered Weaver. So of course I kicked myself when I realized that I had missed his start against the Rangers last night.

And it was kick-worthy: Weaver gave up only one run on six hits while striking out eight in a complete game in the Angels’ 4-1 win. Silly me watched two “Arrested Development” reruns while running on the treadmill and then switched to the Braves-Dodgers game after the workout. The bright side: one of the episodes was the one in which Gob talks about his four-thousand dollar suits (“COME ON!”) and Michael and his niece sing “Afternoon Delight.” OK, “Arrested Development” may have been better. Still, I shoulda watched Weaver.

He’s now 5-0 in his first five starts. He leads the league in strikeouts with 39. Leads the league in innings with 36 and two-thirds. He’s only walked nine. He’s easily the best pitcher in baseball over the first month of the season is the early leader for the Cy Young Award.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Not many folks, with the east coast bias and all, were talking about the Weaver/Haren 1-2 punch before the season. That is easily the best 1-2 in baseball right now. Somehow I keep catching Haren’s starts and missing Weaver’s. I’ll have to tie a string on my finger or something…

• pauleee - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Well, Haren pitched way below expectations in his starts for the Halos last year. If this team has any chance, he needs to pitch like he has so far, so there is hope. And as someone reminded me in another post, Weaver is a FA next year AND lost arbitration this year. He’ll likely be wearing another uni next year. Might as well go out with a bang.

• saltwatertrout - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Haren didn’t pitch way below expectations for the Angels last year. Over 14 games he was a 2 WAR player and had a 2.87 ERA with a 1.16 WHIP. Sure, he went 5-4, but that was largely due to lack of run support. His K/BB rate dropped, but he performed pretty well for the Angels last year all in all.

As for Weaver, he actually has another arbitration year after this season. He will be an FA in 2012.

• pauleee - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Oh, and you East Coasters – focus your attention somewhere else. You’re gonna jinx it!

• pauleee - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Saltwater – sure, prove me way wrong with those stat thingies. Must have been going with impressions, when things went south they went south all over the place and I can say I didn’t catch many of the games Haren pitched in and didn’t analyze the reasons for the losses. I stand corrected.

2. ltzep75 - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

yeah, haren might be out pitching weaver. 31 IP 27K 4W 1SO 1.16ERA 0.65 WHIP (!!) 7.84 k/9.

I totally did not just copy that line from my fantasy baseball team…

• trevorb06 - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I agree Haren right now is the better pitcher. We’ll have to see after his next start if this holds true. I wonder how the young Chatwood will do tonight?

3. Mark - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

NO TOUCHING!

• donkastain - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Steve Holt!

4. wurst2first - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM

GAH, those alternate red jerseys are terrible. Whose idea was it to push the same jersey/number color combination like the Braves, Rays and Angels wear? They’re awful.

Well, really all the alternate jerseys are pretty bad. MLB needs a uniform czar, ASAP.

5. otistaylor89 - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Michael and Maeby singing “Afternoon Delight” is better than 99% of all baseball games this century.

Three legends off to Cooperstown