Apr 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Given his early season dominance, I had made a mental note to keep a close eye on Jered Weaver. So of course I kicked myself when I realized that I had missed his start against the Rangers last night.
And it was kick-worthy: Weaver gave up only one run on six hits while striking out eight in a complete game in the Angels’ 4-1 win. Silly me watched two “Arrested Development” reruns while running on the treadmill and then switched to the Braves-Dodgers game after the workout. The bright side: one of the episodes was the one in which Gob talks about his four-thousand dollar suits (“COME ON!”) and Michael and his niece sing “Afternoon Delight.” OK, “Arrested Development” may have been better. Still, I shoulda watched Weaver.
He’s now 5-0 in his first five starts. He leads the league in strikeouts with 39. Leads the league in innings with 36 and two-thirds. He’s only walked nine. He’s easily the best pitcher in baseball over the first month of the season is the early leader for the Cy Young Award.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)