Apr 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Given his early season dominance, I had made a mental note to keep a close eye on Jered Weaver. So of course I kicked myself when I realized that I had missed his start against the Rangers last night.
And it was kick-worthy: Weaver gave up only one run on six hits while striking out eight in a complete game in the Angels’ 4-1 win. Silly me watched two “Arrested Development” reruns while running on the treadmill and then switched to the Braves-Dodgers game after the workout. The bright side: one of the episodes was the one in which Gob talks about his four-thousand dollar suits (“COME ON!”) and Michael and his niece sing “Afternoon Delight.” OK, “Arrested Development” may have been better. Still, I shoulda watched Weaver.
He’s now 5-0 in his first five starts. He leads the league in strikeouts with 39. Leads the league in innings with 36 and two-thirds. He’s only walked nine. He’s easily the best pitcher in baseball over the first month of the season is the early leader for the Cy Young Award.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)