Justin Morneau missing fifth straight game with flu

Apr 21, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT

Morneau catch

Justin Morneau is out of the Twins’ lineup tonight for the fifth straight game with the same flu bug that exacerbated Joe Mauer‘s health problems last week.

Morneau missing five games with a flu has understandably raised some eyebrows after last year’s concussion sidelined him for eight months, but Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that “not everything is a conspiracy” and Morneau “looked ill” when she saw him at the ballpark yesterday.

According to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com the former MVP “overdid it yesterday” and is “back at the hotel resting, receiving fluids.”

Minnesota is also without Mauer, who’s on the disabled list with bilateral leg weakness, and Delmon Young, who’ll miss his third straight game with sore ribs and some of the same flu bug. All of which helps explain why the Twins rank dead last in the majors in offense.

1. trevorb06 - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

:-(

2. spudchukar - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Are the Twins cursed by rantings of Bachman/Pawlenty?

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

What the F, man! I can’t go w/o a 1B all season! Dagnammit!

4. cur68 - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM

What the hell flu is this, Captain Tripps? 5 days with the flu for Morneau, Mauer on bambi-legs and Delmon Young with the new black and the flu? Please tell me all these guys got their appendixes out already because that’s gonna be next.

5. hunnster77 - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I’m a Phillies fan, but have been selling Twins tickets, and no one has been buying due to poor start! I’m willing to give anyone 10% of their money back if they buy tickets from me and the Twins lose! Check out my blog at http://ticketsandrefunds.wordpress.com/

• hunnster77 - Apr 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM

are people hating on me because I’m a Phillies fan or because I sell tickets? :(

6. uyf1950 - Apr 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM

It’s beginning to look like the contracts both Morneau and Mauer signed with the Twins are going to hamper the Twins ability to do anything for the next few years. If I’m not mistaken the Twins have $37MM per tied up in both these guys for a while yet.

7. atribecalledtwolves - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

ufy1950,
    I can see how you can say that now but I think even a Yankee fan can admit that Mauer and Morneau will still have good seasons this year and in the years to come.

• uyf1950 - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Can they have good seasons for years to come? Sure The real question is though will they have good seasons? I think if someones objective they would have to say, I don’t know. After all Mauer is in the 1st year of an 8 year contract that pays him $23MM per and at just 28 years old he continues to miss time each year…and while he hits for average his numbers have dropped of significantly in 2010 and this year at least to start doesn’t look any better. As for Morneau he suffered a very serious concussion last year that kept him out of action for almost a full year. You hate to say it or even think it but no one knows how that’s going to effect him long term and he’s owed $14MM per for 3 years (including this year). I don’t know that anyone can say for certain that these guy’s troubles (health issues) are behind them. I just think if the Twins are not concerned about their investment in both of them they should be.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3836)