Maicer Izturis calls fans doubting durability “ignorant people”

Apr 21, 2011, 12:18 PM EST

Izturis_Maicer

Maicer Izturis fired back at fans who question his durability, as the Angels infielder told Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times that “those are ignorant people who say that” and “they don’t know the game.”

Izturis, who was on the disabled list three times last season and has played just 254 of a possible 486 games during the past three years, explained to Baxter that “I could play 140 games at 90 percent or 80 percent, but that’s not the way I play. I play 100 percent.”

Athletes playing through injury is generally met with too much praise, as they often play poorly or make the injury worse by doing so and ultimately don’t actually help the team. However, rarely will you hear a player admit that he’s unwilling to play at “90 percent or 80 percent” health, like Izturis did, which certainly isn’t going to stop “those ignorant people” from questioning his durability.

Izturis tried to downplay his missed time by bringing up all the games Josh Hamilton has missed for the Rangers, saying: “I don’t see people saying he’s fragile. They say he plays hard.” However, while it’s true that people say Hamilton plays hard, Izturis suggesting that Rangers fans and media members don’t question the reigning MVP’s durability shows his ignorance. Hamilton shifted away from center field because of concerns about staying healthy there and after his latest injury occurred running the bases there was tons of talk about how there’s really no way for the Rangers to keep him from getting injured. His being fragile is a major topic.

Most of all, though, there’s really nothing to be gained from a player calling fans of the team he plays on “ignorant people” who “don’t know the game.” Of course, right now he’s healthy and hitting .380, so fans probably won’t be too harsh on the guy with 27 hits in 16 games.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM

What fans are talking about Maicer Izturis?

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Ah, but he’s just so cute in that picture! How can you hate on the guy, he just wants a cookie and his blankie!

3. saltwatertrout - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM

That quote about playing at 100% sounds ambiguous to me. Are you sure he’s referring to his level of health when he plays or how hard he plays the game? In other words, could he be saying that he could play 140 games a year if he played at an 80% or 90% effort level which would reduced injuries as opposed to 100% effort level?

4. rcali - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Has anybody checked his visa status lately?

5. cur68 - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I am unsurprised to see this post. While I am addicted to paradigm change, nothing I’ve seen of Maicer leads me to believe he’s scrappy. He needs a shade more effort there and then we can talk about maybe that scrap tag. However at 100% health I have no doubts thus far about his ‘natural ability’. If his current output dropped 20% based on his current health dropping 20% (I know, its not that clear cut, but hey, it’s paradigm change so I’m extemporizing for the sake of argument) then he’d still be very productive. Show a bit more scrap there Maicer.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4411)